We are seeking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join our diverse Research & Development team that is on the mission to develop and work on the most advanced, unparalleled technologies in agriculture. We are working on ambitious projects to quantify sequestrated carbon in soil and transform how food is grown globally.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the design and development of embedded code for drones or autonomous rovers, robotics arms, IoT devices working on heterogeneous mixes of microcontroller and microprocessors boards, wired and wireless network communications, in-house and off-the-shelf sensors, power management boards, and actuators. The successful candidate must possess strong low-level software and hardware technical background, resulted in developing and debugging high-tech products.
The successful candidate will make a mission-critical impact. Their deliverables will contribute to the revolutionary solution as part of the world-renowned Soil Carbon program - aimed to bring together farmers and clean technology to turn climate change, economic crisis, and food insecurity into opportunities.
To build the company's hardware platform as a service (PaaS) using cluster technology to enable seamless software workflow between simulation and multi-CPU platform hardware.
- Define architectures to reduce the number of protocol layers between sub-systems by implementing Data Distribution Services (DDS) at the middleware level using C/C++, STM32G4, FreeRTPS
- Coach and develop a team of junior and intermediate embedded software engineers
- Write software employing Python and C/C++ SDKs to enable functional, real-time systems that facilitate state-of-art research for the company
- Propose ways to simplify the wire harness where possible based on adequately selected MCU or FPGAs to reduce the cost of manufacturing the platforms
- Develop a software stack around ROS and ROS 2 ecosystem
- Lead the programming of multiple hardware platforms such as microcontrollers, microprocessors embedded into systems, as well as writing firmware
- Lead the development of a multi-architecture (Arm64, Arm32, Amd64) docker based CI/CD OTA update using tools like Jenkins and Artifactory
- Explore and introduce new features, testing and verifying features, updating legacy software, and fault finding on existing software stack
- Research, investigate and identify new areas of technology to enhance existing use cases or new product directions; re-evaluate the design and implementation of current source code
- Design and develop solutions from concept to production; this requires detailing requirements and specifications based on product and system requirements, working in concert with project managers, technical leaders, and R&D groups of scientists and engineers
- Create and execute software unit tests to verify design has been met; this includes both simulated test and debugging target hardware
- Design and implement IoT systems to optimize R&D in growth chambers and outdoor field experiments
- Manage workflow on multi-disciplinary projects with the wider multi-disciplinary Research & Development team
- Orient the technical choices of the PCBs designers around new technologies and new components
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability, and scalability of system resources
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in embedded software development using the C/C++ language
- Matured understanding of low-level software, micro-controllers, and middleware
- Experience developing software using embedded SDKs and frameworks
- Experience with hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets
- Experience interacting with embedded devices using methods such as Syslog, serial console, and SSH
- Coaching and/or supervising a team of junior and intermediate engineers is an asset
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- firmware development
- Linux kernel networking stack knowledge (Netdevice, SKB, IP Conntrack, OVS)
- Linux network device driver/data-path performance expertise
- Strong competence and experience in Layer 2, Layer 3 networking, QoS
- Network and/or application security expertise (L2/L3 firewall, DPI, IDS, IPS)
- Experience in 802.11 Wi-Fi systems, standards, and protocols
- Experience with Wi-Fi protocols such as 802.11k, 802.11v, 802.11r
- C++, Python, Go, Kubernetes, Prometheus, GlusterFS, Docker, FreeRTPS
- Good understanding of machine learning concepts
- Android, Linux development experience
- Proven knowledge of testing embedded systems, both for QA and standard qualifications (e.g., CE, IEC)
- Embedded microcontroller design experience, including ARM processors and DSPs
- Experience with common communication protocols (SPI, UART, I2C, CAN, USB)
- Solid understanding of power management; and different types of memory, including RAM, ROM, and Flash
QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Holds self and team to high standards of performance; demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Matured communication and critical thinking ability to influence and propose analytics strategies that challenge status quo thinking
- Shows initiative, creativity, curiosity, learning-oriented mindset, and collaborative style
- Aptitude for interdisciplinary collaboration
- Capable of performing research on best practices and communicating results to a non-expert audience
- Able to apply domain knowledge to ambiguous and novel situations
- This position is based in Vancouver
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a globally recognized cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science, and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80%, increasing global farm productivity by 20%, and increasing soil organic carbon by 100% by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors, and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include state-of-art research labs, robotics workshop, greenhouse, and farm, and has 250+ patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We're looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging, and rewarding. Join our movement as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused, and solutions-oriented team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com.
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce, and we are an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.