About us At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future. With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.About the role Shiru seeks an experienced programmer and engineer to lead the development of data engineering pipelines and internal software applications. Teams across business, R&D, and data science functions rely on robust access to lab generated, multi-omics, and protein structure/function data to drive our core processes. You will own and manage the data warehouse and ETL pipelines to ingest, store, and serve the data to all stakeholders. You will also drive our LIMS engineering efforts to build and maintain data processing pipelines for our lab generated data. This role is highly cross functional and will require strong collaboration with a diverse team of wet lab scientists, bioinformaticists, automation engineers, data scientists, and business analysts. As a key member of an early stage engineering team, you will wear many hats and have a great opportunity to lead and drive the growth of our software development ecosystem.About YouYou are a detail oriented software engineer with expertise in database and data warehouse management, business intelligence and dashboards, but also general knowledge of DevOps and cloud computing. You have great communication skills and are able to gather requirements from different functional teams. You have worked in food tech or biotech industries and have experience with LIMS or processing data from laboratory equipment. You constantly strive for quality and rigorous engineering processes.
- Build and maintain ETL pipelines to ingest data from a wide variety of public and proprietary sources.
- Create data pipelines to capture, process, and store experimental design and data from the lab.
- Design schemas that allow for efficient storage and retrieval of data.
- Create tools that enable the company to turn data into actionable knowledge.
- Collaborate with laboratory and data scientists to enable analytics and reporting of scientific data.
- Collaborate with software and machine learning engineers to enable quick and easy consumption of data.
- Collaborate with leadership to define our software roadmap and strategy.
- Craft our software development culture with an emphasis on quality, documentation, and testing.
- You write clean, modular, and maintainable code.
- You are a continual learner and drive innovation by understanding new frameworks and technologies.
- You are a self-starter, comfortable taking initiative without direct supervision.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to relay technical information to non-technical audiences.
- You expect your work to be meaningful and strive to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on the planet.
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent experience/training
- 3+ years of experience building production data pipelines
Significant expertise in the following is required:
- Python and working with large datasets in Pandas/Jupyter
- Docker and containerized workflows
- AWS ecosystem with particular focus on Lambda, Batch, ECS, and EKS
- Snowflake or other data warehouse platforms
- Workflow managers such as Prefect, Flyte, Airflow, or Dagster
- ETL workflows involving dbt and workflow management tools
- Distributed datasets such as Dask or Spark
- Modern testing and CI/CD frameworks
- Unix, Git, and other command-line tools
Familiarity with genomics and/or proteomics is a plus as we will be working with protein and DNA sequences as features in our data store.
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.