May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
In this role you will be:
- Responsible for the growth, development, and productivity of a team of mechanical engineers
- Providing differentiating technical vision, designs, and strategy for cutting-edge autonomous vehicle solutions
- Lead the team in the development and production release of all relevant engineering deliverables (3D designs, engineering drawings, analysis, DFMEA, etc)
- Ensuring all targets (quality, delivery timing, performance, engineering budget, modularity, reusability, etc.) for engineering deliverables are met.
- Peer design reviews are completed and productive
- Quality of all team deliverables meet standards and timing
- Any required cross-functional design reviews or data sharing is completed
- Collaborating with other teams such as: supply chain, Functional Safety, Cyber Security, Software, Autonomy, Production, Quality, Test and Validation, etc. to ensure product safety.
- Ensuring proper engineering response is provided for new projects and engineering changes.
- Leading the continuous improvement efforts, research, recommendations and implementation of enhancements to products, processes and programs.
- Ensuring all necessary engineering documentation and data is generated and maintained to ensure traceability and compliance to applicable company procedures and industry standards and regulations
- Assist in generation of requirements and their verification at the component and bench level testing.
- Performing complex work assignments requiring independent problem solving and decision making, requiring strong technical competency
- Following safe work procedures; Use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); Use of workplace tools and equipment as instructed; Reporting workplace hazards, injuries and illness as soon as possible.
- Leveraging excellent communication and leadership skills to advocate for your solutions, working seamlessly across teams, functions and with customers
- Leverage excellent interpersonal skills to guide the professional development goals of your team members, listen to and solve problems with empathy, steward and align team culture with company mission, vision, and values.
- Ensuring that tasks are properly resourced (both quality and quantity) for success, whether through assignment of direct resources, or leveraging of external resources as required.
- Providing team leadership, management support, including coaching and active engagement with direct and extended team. Responsibilities include, interviewing, hiring, training, reward and disciplinary actions, and performance appraisals of employees.
- Performing other duties as necessary in support of business objectives. Ensures that facilities are in full compliance with all safety regulations.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- At least 5 years of experience in vehicle engineering leadership for hardware products, which includes launching a vehicle
- Prior roles in which you led a cross engineering teams in achieving a goal
- A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university or equivalent
It is preferred if you have:
- Experience managing other engineers
- Experience in Autonomous Vehicles, Machine Learning, Robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) or Mobile Applications, Transportation as a Service
- Experience with User Experience and leveraging Design Thinking principles in the product development process
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience creating solutions that disrupt the market
- A Masters degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.