Join us on the journey to get to net zero
At Carbon Direct, we dedicate our scientific, software, and business expertise to empower organizations around the world to take climate action.Our Mission
Enable organizations to reduce, remove, and utilize their emissions with carbon scienceWe are a purpose-driven carbon management firm dedicated to helping organizations around the world reach their climate goals. We make carbon science accessible and actionable with our end-to-end platform.Global citizens with global impact
Whether a scientist, developer, or carbon markets expert, we are united by our mission to take climate action now. We are experts in our fields and we act with confidence. Located across 4 countries and 10+ states in the U.S., we offer both remote-friendly work options and dynamic, in-person experiences with offices located in Seattle, WA and Oakland, CA.Diverse backgrounds bring diverse perspectives
We recognize that teams with diverse backgrounds and different experiences are powerful. Bringing together a variety of perspectives only enhances how we can effectively address the climate crisis. Together, we are creating an environment where everyone is celebrated and anyone can succeed.The RoleWe’re looking for an experienced Project Manager who will help Carbon Direct’s customers deliver large engineered capital projects that result in impactful carbon removals and reductions. The ideal candidate will be able to seamlessly transition between different types of tasks, from detailed reviews of project documentation, to engineering concept ideation and selection, to strategic planning of major carbon management investments. Specifically, you will serve as a trusted advisor to Carbon Direct’s clients, leveraging expertise in large project execution from planning to construction to commissioning and operation. You will advise and mentor interdisciplinary teams of scientists, engineers, and business leaders to deliver project reviews, due diligence , assurance and execution advice to Carbon Direct’s clients and portfolio companies. Your advice will directly inform stage-gate and investment decisions pertaining to major carbon management projects’ technical environmental/economic, commercial, organizational, and political (TECOP) attributes. Ongoing work will include: de-risking and scale-up of direct air capture (DAC), sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), hydrogen energy, and bio-energy with carbon capture (BECCS) projects. You will contribute to firm-wide knowledge of the large project life cycle including opportunity framing, pre-FEED, FEED, execution, commissioning, start-up and operation, as well as project finance and stage-gating.
- Advise clients as they scale up and deploy carbon management projects.
- Help clients understand and overcome TECOP risks by evaluating project plans and alternatives, and making actionable recommendations.
- Conduct due diligence of carbon management projects and technologies. Lead diligence and de-risking teams to ensure that projects result in high quality, risk-managed, high value decarbonization outcomes. Assess project management and process engineering fundamentals such as concept selection, equipment specifications and design, project schedules and risk registries, construction and operational strategies, infrastructure and utility integration, and project finance.
- Contribute to reports, policy briefs, and peer-reviewed publications. Actively engage at conferences and public events to communicate the technical and regulatory challenges and opportunities of decarbonization project execution.
- Demonstrated significant project management experience in industry. Full scope accountability and documented track record of successful risk management and delivery of major capital projectsProject management accreditation.
- Carbon management expertise. Expert knowledge of one or more scientific or engineering disciplines related to gas separation (esp. carbon dioxide), subsurface injection (sequestration), hydrocarbon extraction, hydrocarbon processing, petrochemical manufacturing, hydrogen (production, storage, transport, use), and/or ammonia (production, storage, transport use).Masters in project management, process engineering, or closely related field - mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering or operations research; or bachelors degree and equivalent experience.
- Evidence of effective management of projects cost, schedule and quality. Demonstrated experience managing engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services, supply chain, permitting, and stakeholder engagement.
- Experience with successful scale-up from pilot plants with technical novelty.
- Communication - Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate technical information into accessible forms and adapt styles to diverse audiences and different cultural environments.
- Collaboration and Building Relationships - Relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences; Demonstrated experience (professional or non-professional) building and maintaining effective intra-and inter-institutional relationships with colleagues and customers.
Compensation: $155,000-$185,000*range covers multiple levels, as determined throughout the course of the interview processBenefits
While we love our work, our lives aren’t defined by it. At Carbon Direct, we offer a robust benefits package that considers the whole person, their partners, and their families – and we’re always looking to improve.
Our U.S. benefits* include:Comprehensive nationwide medical, dental, and vision coverage. See a preview of our coverage here
.20 days of paid time off and 11 company-wide holidays16 weeks of paid parental and family leaveRemote-friendly work culture with annual company-wide retreatsReimbursement for your work-from-home setup
*These benefits apply to U.S.-based
employees only. Employees outside of the U.S. receive benefits that vary by country. To learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
.Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.