Who are we?
Sealed is a climate tech company on a mission to stop home energy waste and electrify all homes.
Sealed designs, manages, and finances home weatherization and electrification projects, making it easy and affordable for people to be more comfortable while using less energy. Our proven holistic approach can reduce energy use by 50% and takes a home completely off of fossil fuels with upgrades like high-performance insulation, air sealing, and heat pump HVAC. Our expert team designs the right solution, matches top-rated local contractors, and manages the project start to finish. Sealed covers the upfront costs, and we’re accountable to impact: if we don’t cut energy waste, we don’t get paid.
Sealed is venture backed, with investments from Cyrus Capital, Fifth Wall, Footprint Coalition (Robert Downey Jr.) as well as the CEO of Reddit, executives from Handy, Brex, Instacart, and Opendoor among others. Sealed is one of Fast Company’s top ten most innovative energy companies of 2021. Based in New York City with a remote-first work environment, Sealed was also featured as one of Inc. Magazine's 'Ventures that Embody the U.N.‘s Sustainability Goals'. Learn more at sealed.com.
What will you do?
As Vice President, Policy you will be responsible for building and managing the policy function at Sealed, including:
Tracking policy developments across federal, state, and local agencies that inform the Sealed business strategy and operational execution
Developing and executing policy campaigns that create business opportunities and/or mitigate business risks
Building the Sealed public profile with key policy stakeholders both inside and outside of government
This role will be a key member of the Sealed leadership team and will require strong cross-functional influence, the ability to work simultaneously in multiple locations, and articulate both qualitatively and quantitatively how actual and potential policy and regulatory actions will impact future business, including compliance and growth priorities.
What success looks like:
You will be a proven thought-leader in clean tech/energy and public policy with experience crafting and leading a policy organization. Strong preference will be given for energy efficiency and/or residential markets in the context of a rapidly growing business impacted by policy drivers.
You will have a deep understanding of how policy shapes business and a track record of successes implementing policy objectives in the energy space across multiple jurisdictions. The ability to quickly assess opportunities, develop positions, and implement strategies to advance those positions all while informing the executive leadership of Sealed of potential outcomes and linkage to business plan growth is key to success. You will bring first-hand relationships with key stakeholders at Sealed. In addition, you will:
Develop and maintain a policy roadmap and action plan consistent with the goals of the business. This will include identification of opportunities, risks, and strategies to address both
Oversee the monitoring of regulatory bodies at the federal, state, and (as appropriate) local level as well as the support or opposition of policy and regulatory proposals in accordance with Sealed-approved policy
Identify the key policy stakeholders that impact the Sealed business
Proactively advance the Sealed policy strategy by leading policy development and advocacy with federal and targeted state legislatures across the country
- Enhance the Sealed brand as a key thought leader by representing Sealed and its policy ideas with government, advocacy groups, industry allies, and other key stakeholders
Prepare, review, and submit testimony and related collateral, such as white papers and presentations, to advance the Sealed policy and regulatory priorities
Lead prioritization of the Sealed policy initiatives through both qualitative and quantitative analysis to ensure the company is allocating its resources appropriately and advocating for policies that will deliver the most ROI and benefits to its customers
Manage memberships and relationships with key trade associations and lobbyists across the country; actively participate in committees and on Boards of those in key focus areas
- Define and drive a proactive, integrated communications strategy that promotes awareness of the Sealed value proposition, capabilities, and business initiatives
- 10+ years of leadership experience in clean tech policy and regulatory, advocacy, government, or corporate affairs leadership roles at federal or state levels, and the within the private sector
A proven track record of clean energy policy leadership through published white papers, opinion/op-eds, voting records in major industry associations and/or governmental proceedings
Demonstrated ability to create an impact model policy plan with an expansive network of major plays in the space
Demonstrated ability to bring a rigorous and ROI approach to all policy-related spending across consultants, lobbyists, associations, etc.
Experience and relationships with both senior policymakers at the federal and state levels
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage the assessment of policy and regulatory initiatives, closely coordinating with cross-functional, internal, and external stakeholders, as well as proven ability to form industry coalitions to advance policy initiatives
- Engagement with and participation in energy industry associations, as well as leadership experience within those groups
- Comfort with ambiguity in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Ability to interface with all levels of management and communicate cross-functionally in a structured and clear manner to influence outcomes
- Excellent verbal and written communication, team collaboration, and organizational skills
- Ability to work autonomously with excellent time management and prioritization skills, focusing on key outcomes amidst competing priorities and tight deadlines
- Outstanding executive presentation skills – ability to assemble and tell a complex story in a simple and crisp manner
The expected salary range for this role is $187,500-$250,000. We’re eager to engage with all qualified candidates and consideration will be provided to experience and skill level.
Benefits & Perks:
- Flexible PTO
- Stock options
- Health benefits, including some focused on mental health and fertility treatments
- 401(k) plan
- Paid family leave
- Paid medical leave
- Home office set-up stipend
- Learning & development stipend
- Flexible work environment: work remotely from anywhere within the US or from our headquarters in NYC
If you need a nudge, this is it. We recognize that some people are less likely to apply for jobs when they don’t meet all of the requirements. But here’s the reality: Rarely do candidates fulfill 100% of the requirements. You have value to offer yet maybe not the confidence to recognize it. Take a chance and apply!