We are looking for an Applications Engineer to provide comprehensive applications engineering support for our distributed energy and microgrid projects. Our projects typically include managing a variety of DER and microgrid assets – such as solar, energy storage, controls, and reciprocating engines. This is a great role for someone looking to play an important technical role at a fast-growing PE-backed business. This role will report to our Chief Technology Officer and will likely be based out of the greater Los Angeles area, but we are open to locations throughout California.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Utilize your strong technical and communication skills to interface with all aspects of the business and customers.
- Work extensively with our Business Development (BD) teams to evaluate and develop the right technical solutions.
- Work with the BD, execution, and commercial teams on specific projects to ensure the integration of the Microgrid is technically correct, practical, and cost-effective. This includes working with existing service entrance one-line drawings or creating new ones, to provide the best design interface for functionality and cost.
- Investigate the interconnection which includes modifications to existing design concepts that are applicable to each site.
- Work with switchgear manufacturers (and other OEMs) like Schneider Electric to develop innovative designs and costing that are scalable to many jobs and customer sites. This includes working at voltage levels of 13.8, 4160, 480, and 208 depending on site and system size.
- Provide significant input to the solar, battery, and generator designs to optimize performance, reliability, and sustainability for each customer site.
The Ideal Candidate
- Thorough technical understanding of distributed energy technologies, including some combination of solar, battery, and reciprocating engines/turbines
- Deep understanding of rotating power with reciprocating engines in the 200 to 2000kw size range per engine. This includes parallel operation with the utility bus as well as with other DERs both in grid parallel mode as well as island mode operations.
- Solid understanding of the utility side of the interconnection.
- Knowledge of the various DER power sources within the Microgrid and how they best interface with the utility to provide a more efficient system.
- Knowledge of emissions from the utility side as well as each of the DERs.
- Knowledge of systems controls for the DERs and how they can be utilized to accomplish specific operating goals while part of the Microgrid. These goals provide economic returns to us and the customer.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to communicate with technical and non-technical people to make projects work.
- BS in Electrical Engineering with a focus on the power side
- PE in power or progressing towards that license
- Advanced courses in power or a higher-level degree in the field are preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits program including medical benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and 401K matching.
About Scale Microgrids
Scale Microgrids (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean energy solutions. Through its leading technical expertise and access to scale capital, Scale helps its customers transition to a decentralized energy future by providing and financing sustainable, cost-effective, and resilient power solutions. Scale has its own proprietary microgrid solution which provides customer with cheaper, cleaner and more reliable power, and also partners with third party developers to acquire and/or finance a broader range of distributed energy assets.
We raised $500MM from Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing, to fund our business plan and accelerate growth. We are growing quickly and looking to augment the team with highly motivated entrepreneurial talent.
About Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus is a leading global private equity firm with nearly $80 billion in assets under management (AUM). Its active portfolio of more than 250 companies around the globe is highly diversified by stage, sector and geography. Warburg Pincus is a growth investor and an experienced partner to management teams seeking to build durable companies with sustainable value. To learn more about Warburg Pincus, please visit https://www.warburgpincus.com/.
Scale strives to attract and retain a workforce that reflects the composition of our customer base and communities. We are committed to providing a work environment that provides everyone equal access and opportunity to contribute and drive meaningful outcomes. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.