Does working for a fast paced, growing company that is making a difference in our environment excite you? Do you have a passion for making our environment better for this generation and the ones that follow? Let’s make a difference together. Join our team!
The Electrical Engineer-SCADA is responsible for design and commissioning of the electrical and controls systems for PV and ESS projects. This role requires a SCADA engineer with experience in controls architecture for electrical infrastructure up to 35kV, including in-depth knowledge and expertise in SCADA, protective relaying, and automation, as well as a strong working knowledge in applicable national codes including NEC and NESC. This role will work closely with the Grid Integration Engineering and Design Engineering teams as well as the Nexamp Energy Storage Team and Nexamp Asset Management. The SCADA Engineer will report to the Manager, Electrical Engineering.
- Integrate BMS, EMS, DAS, and SCADA system designs for PV, Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), and hybrid PV+BESS systems in both DC-Coupled and AC-Coupled architectures
- Perform site visits for commissioning and witness testing;
- Oversee complete commissioning and acceptance testing of project networks, communications, and control systems, balance of plant relay protection, metering, HVAC, fire suppression, and electrical systems, battery subsystems, inverter subsystems.
- Manage outside storage integrators and monitoring platform providers to specify and configure SCADA, Power Plant Controller, RTU, and IT equipment
- Ensure the proper implementation of network security controls with hosting provider(s), such as firewalls, VPN tunnels, IDS/IPS, DNS monitoring, WAF and DDoS protection; participate and contribute to internal and external security working groups to define and mitigate cybersecurity risks
- Design customer-side SCADA infrastructure to implement non-wires alternatives, selective curtailment, and other grid-edge DERMS technologies
- Process and interpret SCADA requirements of different markets, local utility requirements, ISO/ ISO compliance requirements for telemetry and controls hardware and software and coordinate the procurement and installation of necessary telecom services.
- Develop and review system designs, and communication interfaces to utility, customer’s Energy Management Systems, Nexamp’s monitoring and control systems, or energy trading platforms
- Define project commissioning and controls requirements and manage scopes of work for 3rd party commissioning engineers to ensure project controls solutions satisfy the required applications
- Assist the EE department in reviewing single line diagrams, equipment tests, shop drawings, and in performing advanced electrical modeling in ETAP and AmpCalc
- Participate in new product research and implementation
Ideal candidate must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, results-oriented, and operate well in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in SCADA, building automation, or controls system design
- Knowledge and experience with technical communications protocols (Modbus/TCP, DNP3.0, BACnet, etc.), commonly used controls software/hardware platforms, and communication standards (MESA, Sunspec, etc.)
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience with various relays, meters, SCADA Gateways, and Data Concentrators, including programming of RTACs and similar devices
- Expertise in commissioning and resolving site technical issues, proven success in independently troubleshooting challenging SCADA related technical issues
- Experience managing contractors, resolving scheduling conflicts with key stakeholders, and managing internal and external resources
- Ability to work as part of a fast paced, multi-disciplinary team and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Willingness to travel up to 30% for commissioning and witness testing
- Valid Driver’s License or ability to obtain same
- Experience with NERC CIP, SOC2, and ISA-62443 standards as well as experience securing cloud-based systems (AWS, Azure, private clouds etc.) strongly preferred
- Experience in controls engineering for utility-scale renewable/hybrid energy, PV/BESS, (AC-coupled/DC-coupled systems) and microgrid systems preferred
- Knowledge of industry standard design codes and electrical engineering and relaying principles preferred
- Electrical engineering and PV industry experience preferred
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, but see yourself contributing, please submit an application. We encourage people from minority or marginalized groups to apply.
At Nexamp, our mission is building the future of energy, so it is clean, simple, and accessible for all. We believe a diverse team brings different perspectives and experiences, thus benefiting our work. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. By encouraging a culture where ideas and decisions come from all people, we believe it will help us grow, innovate, and be a part of environmental and social change.
PERKS & COMPENSATION
Not only will you get to work with a group of innovative, dedicated, and motivated peers, you will also have access to all the benefits that Nexamp Offers! This includes: our competitive compensation package; a 401 (k) employer-match; health, dental, & vision insurance with company contribution; Flexible Paid Time Off; Commuter Benefits and Cell Phone Reimbursement; as well as a Fun, Collaborative, Downtown Office Environment! We provide healthy snacks, coffee, in-office yoga sessions, volunteer opportunities, company outings, and more!
NEXAMP VALUES AND MISSION
Building the future of energy so it is clean, simple and accessible
Nexamp is building the energy infrastructure of tomorrow and reinventing the way people interact with the electricity that powers their lives. By deploying a distributed network of locally sourced clean energy, we seek to reduce the negative effects of climate change. Our team’s diverse experience drives innovation from the ground up and with a singular passion: to deliver an accessible and sustainable energy future for all.