Motiv is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join the engineering team as a key contributor. As part of a small team, you will design and write firmware for multiple modules that make up the powertrain of an electric drive vehicle. Responsibilities include software design, coding, testing, and debugging. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and debugging in hardware with digital probes, oscilloscopes, etc.
As a small company, we are dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and non-technical disciplines. These attributes are as important as the knowledge and skill set required for the work performed.
May require occasional domestic travel, less than 5%.
This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager and is based in Foster City, CA.
- Working in a small team and reporting to a team lead, develop EV controls software.
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain embedded vehicle control software in C and Python.
- Fulfill all specified and derived requirements, including: safety, timing, and signal processing requirements of control algorithms for chassis systems, power converters, and motor controllers.
- Conduct software requirements analysis; develop requirements documents and design documents.
- Participate in peer design and code reviews.
- Collaborate with your team lead, SQA staff and others to document your designs, tests, and test results.
- Adhere to Motiv company policies, procedures, and best-practices.
Required Experience and Skills
- BS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Minimum 2 years industry experience developing real-time software for embedded systems required
- Strong proficiency in C - ability to understand compiler output (assembly).
- Experience with RTOS and bare-metal systems
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles, including SW Quality Assurance and full SDLC.
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- MS in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with Software Emphasis
- Experience developing safety-critical systems
- Experience with development in automotive environment, i.e. CAN, AUTOSAR, etc.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), HSA, Vision, Dental & 401k
- We offer a generous PTO policy, Group Universal Life, Voluntary Personal Accident and Voluntary Disability Insurance
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Educational Assistance Employee Program
- Healthy Work / Life Balance
- Fresh daily snacks
- Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail
- Free Online Training & Development
- We are bicycle-friendly, with bicycle storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Motiv Power Systems, a leading provider of software and technology to electrify medium duty commercial vehicles, is committed to freeing fleets from their dependence on fossil fuels. Motiv’s EPIC (Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis) are CARB certified, GSA approved, and available for many configurations including step vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles. An EPIC offers uncompromised performance and functionality without the pollution, noise, heat, and vibration of gasoline or diesel power.
Motiv is the only Ford eQVM-approved provider of all-electric chassis for commercial trucks and buses and benefits from engineering insights and support from Ford to ensure safety and reliability. With more than 1,000,000 miles logged among several of the largest fleet operators in the United States, the EPIC family eliminates 100% of vehicle emissions, dramatically reduces operating and maintenance costs, and creates a healthier environment for riders and communities, while also reducing driver fatigue.