At Span, we are building products that enable the rapid adoption of renewable energy like home solar, batteries, and electric vehicles. The Span Smart Panel replaces the standard electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home, providing revolutionary insights and home energy controls through the Span mobile app.
We are looking for a Finance and Accounting Intern to support our business functions. In this role you will work with leadership and cross-functionally. You are a data-driven and detail-oriented collaborator who can promote Span’s core strategic & financial goals.
- Manage accounts receivable (AR) activities such as tracking and following up on aged AR and preparing invoices
- Manage accounts payable (AP) activities by inputting invoices to the bills management and processing payments to vendors
- Assist with monthly and quarterly closes
- Support fixed asset reconciliations by tagging and recording depreciable assets
- Identify and aid implementation for process and technology improvements related to inventory management and inventory accounting systems
- Escalate issues to the accounting and other cross-functional teams in a timely manner
- Junior/senior in college based in the SF Bay Area at the time of internship
- Must be studying Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related major
- Basic familiarity of Journal Entry flows, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and Excel functions
- Basic financial and data literacy
- Able to work independently and take ownership of deliverables and deadlines
- Positive attitude with the ability to work cross-functionally and be a team player
- Process-oriented and operational problem-solver who can prioritize accordingly and iterate quickly to solutions
- Possesses and demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience in a finance/accounting role where bookings were made on an accrual basis
- Have taken up to Intermediate Accounting and/or Intermediate Finance courses
- Familiarity with QuickBooks
- Experience with web-based tools like Bill.com, Expensify, etc.
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
You can expect:
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- To be a part of a team and culture that is hard-working, has a good sense of humor, values collaboration, and is just a little bit nerdy
- A sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain public transit
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities, board games nights, and other opportunities to connect with teammates - in-person and now virtually
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.