Who we are
Creating a planet fueled by reliable, affordable, clean energy isn’t what keeps us up at night; it’s what gets us out of bed. At Opus One Solutions, our software platform GridOS® helps us pursue solutions that will change how countries access, optimize and distribute electrical energy. From helping utilities optimize their operations when lots of homeowners are feeding solar energy into the electrical grid or charging electric vehicles, to setting up marketplaces to trade clean energy, we're powering a more sustainable future.
As a result of rapid, continuous growth, Opus One needs an experienced and dedicated Technical Writer, where they will create and deliver a world-class proposal documentation program in collaboration with various internal teams, including Sales, Product Management, Research and Development, and Professional Services.
Reporting to the Commercial Operations Director, this is a brand-new position and will have an immediate and lasting impact on Opus Ones sales and bottom line. Specifically, the Technical Writer will own the creation and content management of the entire proposal documentation program (e.g., RFI, RFP, RFQ, and unsolicited responses etc.). You will be a critical asset within the commercial operations team and truly engage with the wider organization in a cross-functional capacity, working closely with our Account Managers, Solutions Consultants, and Commercial Operational Specialists.
As a Technical Writer on our team, you will work with subject matter experts to craft client-ready sales proposals/bids that ultimately lead to winning submissions. This is an opportunity to be part of a team and a company that is tangibly making a difference in the world.
Who are you?
As a Technical Writer, you are looking to step outside your comfort zone and take ownership of a very critical aspect of the company’s sales process. You can articulate and communicate a technical solution in an easy-to-understand manner, while focusing on internal and external stakeholder requirements. Ideally, you have experience working with and understanding electrical utility challenges and opportunities at an operational and a regulatory level. You take ownership of the end-to-end content creation process, and work with various stake holders to ensure a successful
What will our Technical Writer work on?
- Review the current state of proposal documentation, as well as perform research into best of breed structures, templates, and practices for client facing proposals.
- Develop policies and procedures for managing proposal content and develop and implement templates and procedures for consistent documentation.
- Collaborate across cross-functional teams by gathering stakeholder requirements and building consensus but also working independently as needed to develop world-class client facing proposals.
- Grow and maintain a library of re-usable technical documentation that includes previous proposals, presentations, reports, internal and external published white papers, case studies, technical specifications, operating procedures, drawings, schematics etc. that will be used for preparing client bid responses.
- Work closely with our account managers, subject matter experts, and internal teams to ensure internal alignment to client requirements for outgoing bids and proposals.
- Leverage your ability to contribute to a fast-paced software sales environment, focused on supporting our Account Managers for new and existing client proposals and be successful in winning competitive bids.
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with relevant areas of the business to help strengthen partnerships and success within the team.
- Work with marketing and communications, professional services, product management, and the research and development teams to ensure all aspects of Opus One’s technical content required for clint proposals are well documented and client ready.
- Provide additional support and participation in special projects as required.
Here is what you bring:
- Experience. You have 6+ years of experience at a high performing SaaS company in a technical writing position with combination of strong writing and editing experience, with a proven track record of producing clear, concise and high-quality proposals.
- Communication Skills. You are a active listener, have strong written and oral communication abilities, can effectively communicate and collaborate cross-functionally with technical and non-technical audiences, and provide high-level summaries of the solution to various audiences (from users, to management, to the C-suite).
- Technical Skills: You are an expert in the latest MS Office suite and can learn new tools fast to bring flair to the final deliverable. You are a customer centric professional with great attention to detail.
- Technical Aptitude. You have strong understanding of complex technical systems, processes, and procedures and can translate this into concise, simple and easy to understand documents, presentations, and proposals.
- Delivery-focused. You have a strong attention to detail combined with excellent organizational skills. You get things done on-time and within the project deadlines.
- Innovation. You have a strong attention to detail and the desire to adapt and innovate. You are able to provide unique solutions and embrace the new while accepting the ambiguous.
- Teamwork. You are self-motivated collaborator that can easily reach-out to different parts of an organization, but also work independently.
- Education. You hold a BS/MSc in Engineering (any discipline), Computer Science, Technical Writing/Communications, or a related field or comparable professional experience.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience working within the clean tech/renewable energy space
- P.Eng. or equivalent technical certifications/experience
- Highly familiar with emerging energy industry trends, regulations, and implications on utility customers in DER management, microgrids, distribution planning, SCADA, and asset management.
Why join Opus One Solutions?
We are all driven by one common goal: to accelerate the integration of clean and sustainable energy in North America and the world. Recognized by Red Herring as one of North America’s top 100 private technologies and a top 100 global cleantech company for three years running, Opus One is leaving its mark in North America, Europe, and Asia with exciting grid modernization projects with leading utility companies that are helping the world become more sustainable.
At Opus One Solutions we understand that not everyone develops their talent and hones their skills in a traditional way. Different paths and experiences are part of the diversity we know we need to succeed. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking, take a chance and express your interest here.
Opus One Solutions welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.