Intern, Land Acquisition
Recurrent Energy is seeking 1 PAID Summer 2024 intern to support the North American Land Acquisition team with its efforts in securing access for a pipeline of utility-scale solar (“PV”) and battery energy storage system (“BESS”) projects. This internship is an opportunity to join an industry-leading team to help drive management decision making and grow the business. You will gain real-life work experience while having the chance to work on real-world projects that will have a significant impact to our grid and the energy transition to renewables.
The internship will cover the summer term and is flexible with start/end dates. This intern will gain exposure to projects currently under development, being constructed, preparing for financial close, and actively being marketed into wholesale power markets in the US. These projects will be located across the United States and Canada.
Principal Responsibilities/Key Results Areas
As an intern for the Land Acquisition Team you will help Recurrent Energy make informed, strategic business decisions by:
- Negotiating and drafting various agreements related land acquisition for PV and BESS
- Cold calling landowners and developers for project site leads
- Drafting proposals, letter of intents (LOIs), term sheets, and other related real estate documents
- Developing financial offers for purchase or lease
- Establish effective relationships with stakeholders
- Reviewing real estate title work and assisting with curative efforts
In addition, responsibilities include:
- Report to and support Land Acquisition Managers to develop and execute land acquisition strategy for Solar (PV) and Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS).
- Identify, conduct outreach (including cold calls & letter campaigns) and establish relationships with list of targeted landowners/developers to secure viable land for project sites and easements
- Negotiate, draft, and review agreements containing favorable business terms for a wide variety of transaction documentation including letters of intent, purchase options, lease options, easements, surface waivers with landowners.
- Perform high level analysis and review of title, zoning, floodplain, easements, leases, permitting fees, entitlement process, CEQA/NEPA, solar insolation, and other site-specific considerations.
- Coordinate with internal departments with regular communication, status updates, managing of project budgets, tracker setup and maintenance, participation in team meetings, and project meetings
- Create supporting documents and discrete analysis to aid real estate activities.
- Assist in due diligence, analysis and recommendations for potential mergers and acquisitions (M&A), project sales/financings, and co-development opportunities.
- Conduct title and vesting research on real property.
- Status tracking with Smartsheets software (Land ownership, land details, title matters)
You Will Gain Experience in:
Reporting Relationships & Interactions
- The Renewable Energy Business, especially in regard to PV and BESS
- Learn more about our people and culture.
- Be placed with a mentor.
- Get hands-on experience.
- Learn about the importance of a land professional's role in the energy industry
- Have an opportunity to present your work experience to senior management at the end of the intern assignment.
- Reports to Senior Manager of Land Acquisition
- Assists the Land Acquisition, Real Estate and Development Teams with respect to securing potential project sites and negotiating other land agreements
- Interacts with various internal groups and external parties
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated interest in a career in energy, renewable energy, project development, or real estate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented problem solver with exceptional organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills relating to significant contact, communication, & interdependency other team members
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong understanding of GIS and tabletop site review/screening
- Knowledge of CoStar/Loopnet is a plus
- Evidence of solid research and writing skills
- General understanding of real estate concepts
- Operate in a team environment and participate in cross-functional teams to solve land acquisition problems
- Meticulous attention to detail with exceptional organizational and planning skills
- Self-starter who initiates tasks proactively with minimal direction
- Capability to successfully prioritize and juggle competing deadlines
- Entrepreneurial work ethic
- Ability to uphold standards of complete discretion and confidentiality and exercise good judgment on day-to-day decisions
- Proficient in Public Speaking
Experience & Education
- Minimum of at least 2 years of coursework working toward a Bachelor’s degree or any amount of coursework experience working towards a Graduate, MBA, or J.D. degree.
- Renewable energy, development, real estate, landman, or consulting experience a plus
- Preference for J.D./M.B.A. Candidates
- Ability to be located in Austin, TX or Remote.