At Span, we are building products that enable the rapid adoption of renewable energy like home solar, batteries, and electric vehicles. The Span Smart Panel replaces the standard electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home, providing revolutionary insights and home energy controls through the Span mobile app.
We’ve developed a breakthrough product for residential solar + storage customers, have seen strong initial market traction, and are looking to rapidly grow revenue by expanding our Sales team. Span is seeking a B2B Sales Representative (Solar and Storage) to source, sell to, and manage relationships with our solar installer customers. This person will be responsible for making our customers and company successful, supporting the achievement of Span’s revenue target. As our company scales, they will be expected to swiftly take on additional responsibility as an early member of our growing Sales team.
In this role, you will:
- Generate and manage new incoming solar installer prospects while cultivating relationships with existing customers.
- Promote Span through extensive outreach activities including emails, cold calling and communications to prospective solar installer customers, creating new contact with small and medium businesses that can be successful partners for Span.
- Act as the subject matter expert on Span product offerings, customer use cases, installation considerations and complementary products like solar and storage.
- Onboard signed customers to Span, ensuring that sales and operational teams are trained and effectively activated with the product.
- Work closely with Span’s Regional Sales Managers to identify and grow key markets, customers and programs that best support team goals.
We’re growing quickly so be prepared for responsibilities to shift and grow with performance. We’re explicitly looking for people who are excited to roll up their sleeves and do whatever is needed to find quality partners, help make them successful, and who are ready to take on additional responsibilities as needed.
We are seeking an experienced and driven sales professional with:
- 2+ years of experience in a B2B sales or account management role.
- Experience helping B2B customers through all stages of the sales process.
- Track record and examples of quickly building trust with customers of all backgrounds
- Ability to get things done in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Past experience with selling electrical, solar, or storage hardware or software, quickly coming up to speed on technical details of how a product works and explaining it to external audiences.
- Excellent relationship builder with experience not just closing new accounts, but activating them, cultivating quality and long-lasting relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively interact across calls, email, text, and Slack, ability to build relationships virtually and then in person
- Available to travel domestically up to 5 days per month (as needed, and pending COVID updates)
- Hunger to learn and grow with our company and team, getting in early as part of a rapidly growing startup
- Positive mindset and attitude, and a passion for rapidly scaling residential renewable energy
- Undergraduate degree in business, engineering, or equivalent experience
- Understanding of solar and storage industry, hardware, software, and installation businesses
- Existing trusted relationships in the electrical contractor, new home builder and/or solar installation space
- Experience in Salesforce, HubSpot or other CRM/marketing automation tools
Life at Span
Span offers a unique opportunity at a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation and early equity at a well-funded, fast-growing, venture-backed company (read more on why Amazon and others invested in Span here and here)
- A sunny 20,000 sqft hardware lab + office space in SOMA, a stone’s throw from Caltrain and close to BART
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- Additional Span holidays in celebration of causes we believe in (this year so far we provided days off in celebration of Black History in Feb, Women’s History in March, Earth Day in April and Gay Pride & Juneteenth in June)
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Diversity - we are serious about this. Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.