Who we are.
Pachama is a mission-driven company looking to restore nature to help address climate change. Pachama brings the latest technology in remote sensing and AI to the world of forest carbon in order to enable forest conservation and restoration to scale. Pachama’s core technology harnesses satellite imaging with artificial intelligence to measure carbon captured in forests. Through the Pachama marketplace, responsible companies and individuals can connect with carbon credits from projects that are protecting and restoring forests worldwide.
We are backed by mission-aligned investors including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Amazon Climate Fund, Chris Sacca, Saltwater Ventures, and Paul Graham.Recent press:Pachama is #1 most innovative AI company Jeff Bezos' Last Shareholder UpdatePachama to monitor and manage Mercado Libre forest projectsThe role.
Pachama is looking for a team member to support our team in analyzing and reporting on forest carbon offset projects using new technology. This new team member would take their experience in carbon projects or forestry and combine it with an ability to use technology and models to improve carbon markets. This role would be responsible for evaluating carbon projects, creating new biomass models, and supporting key corporate clients while being a spokesperson for science and sound carbon principles to our stakeholders.
This role is remote (as is the entire Pachama team). We believe in working where you want your life to be. However, being within 3 hours of Pacific time is slightly preferred. The position is full time.
- Develop and apply remote sensing models to validate forest carbon offset projects.
- Analyze a combination of remote sensing outputs and project documentation to draw conclusions about forest carbon projects.
- Create biomass models for new regions to support Pachama's origination work
- Assess carbon potential of new projects using a combination of scientific and remote data
- Develop written reports of findings for Pachama and its stakeholders.
- Work on next generation modeling projects to enhance Pachama's remote sensing capabilities
Experiences we're looking for
- Experience with forest carbon projects or carbon offset protocols.
- Forest mensuration skills. Familiarity with forest sampling techniques, allometry, baseline calculations, etc.
- Familiarity with different remote sensing datasets and model development.
- Ability and willingness to communicate about complex topics to non expert audiences (both in writing and in person)
- Strong python skills. Experience with common python geospatial libraries (e.g. gdal, rasterio, shapely, fiona).