At Sofar we connect the world’s oceans. We build the technology to create global awareness of ocean weather, climate, and ocean health. Our unique ocean data provides insights to science and society, and our products make ocean industries more sustainable. As a mission-driven team we combine the best in ocean science and Bay Area innovation to capture the canvas of our oceans and drive the new Blue Economy.
We are looking for an experienced Boat Operations Intern to join our team of ocean enthusiasts and conservationists. This individual will play a key role in the deployment and recovery of our ocean sensors by leading missions to our test sites and maintaining the company’s research boat on an as-needed basis.
- Pilot a small fishing vessel in the SF Bay and offshore without direct supervision
- Create cruise plans for all trips and brief relevant crew and onshore support prior to departure
- Deploy and/or recover scientific instrumentation
- Maintain boat equipment such as instrumentation, fire extinguishers, boat fenders, lines, pumps, and fittings.
- Direct safety operations during sensor deployments and recoveries, while boating, and in emergency situations.
- Report any observed navigational hazards to authorities.
- Perform related work as needed.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Offshore boat operations experience
- Have or willing to get a valid a California Boater Card
- A valid driver’s license and ability to launch a boat from a public boat ramp
- Considerable knowledge of the practices of seamanship, including navigation, tide movements, marine safety, and boat operations
- Availability on short notice based on weather conditions and Sofar’s deployment/recovery needs
- Experience with outboard maintenance and the ability to conduct preventative, corrective, predictive maintenance and general repairs or modifications to suit mission requirements.
- Experience with the permitting process from regulatory agencies such as the USCG, NOAA, the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, Army Corps, and others.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.