Who we are:
Creating a planet fueled by reliable, clean energy isn’t what keeps us up at night; it’s what gets us out of bed. At Opus One Solutions, our software platform GridOS® helps us pursue solutions that will change how countries access, optimize and distribute electrical energy. From microgrids that keep things running in the event of an outage to how electric utilities can optimize their operations and allow homeowner feed energy into a power grid fueling the electrical sharing economy.
At Opus One Solutions, we believe some of the best talent in the tech industry share our passion for delivering technology that matters and that will make a difference, in our lifetime and beyond. We want to work with people who love the complexities of software; who believe in its power to transform the world to a better place.
Good people know that great ideas are everywhere and what matters most is practical execution. Turning vision into reality is the hard part. But, when it’s creating technical solutions that support access to renewable energy, it’s an engineering feat worth contributing to.
What will our new Solutions Specialist work on?
- Help utility customer understand the impacts of distributed energy resources (DERs) on the distribution system using power flow-based time series analysis software.
- Provide utility customers with solutions to manage and plan for the emergence of more DERs.
- Outline project goals, objectives, requirements, and technical functionality.
- Define success criteria and author solution diagrams for the project.
- Facilitate workshops that capture functional and non-functional requirements from the client and relay them to the internal product and development team.
- Define the user acceptance testing process and test cases, and articulate progress metrics.
- Work with the Project Managers to develop, document and standardize new internal and external processes, expectations, and deliverables across multiple projects.
- Provide analysis and assessment documentation in alignment to project scope.
- Create business cases and new product requirements by understanding customer business processes and policies.
- Collaborate with other members of the Solutions team to expand our solution consulting and delivery practice, build standards of excellence, and continuously deliver innovative solution offerings for clients.
- Use internal software demonstrations to develop user acceptance documentation, training powerpoint modules, training video modules.
Here’s what you bring:
- An ideal combination of education and experience. You have a degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on power systems and/or energy markets, plus 2+ years relevant work experience as a Business Analyst, Consultant or Utility Asset Manager/Planner.
- Bonus points if you have:
- An MSc in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Power Systems
- Experience with scripting in VBA or with python
- The knowledge. You have a strong background in Excel analysis, Powerpoint, and Visio. Experience with power system analysis software (E.g. OpenDSS, CYME, Powerfactory, Synergi etc.) would be a strong asset.
- A genuine interest in new tools and technology. You learn new software quickly without extensive documentation or hand holding.
- A true sense of obligation and responsibility. You are invested in satisfying the needs of our clients – your clients- and you work hard to do it well, on spec and on time. You are motivated to find answers and innovate solutions.
- A team-oriented personality. Your commitment and focus influence those around you to do better. You gain satisfaction when the team wins.
- An analytical mindset. You can quickly understand and analyze various approaches and processes instantly. You have the ability to drill down to the details, obtaining the right level of specificity for your development team. You can creatively solve complex problems.
- A natural sense of curiosity. You are an information-seeker who digs deeper and asks a series of probing questions to get at the root of a problem. You can create powerful user stories detailing the needs of your clients.
- The relationship building focus. You enjoy being in front of clients (internal and external) and listening to their needs. You are willing and able to travel to meet with them as needed.
- An effective communication style. You are clear both verbally and in writing. You can communicate your thoughts logically in ways that others can understand.
Why join Opus One Solutions?
Opus One is growing! After spending the first four years under the radar focused on research and pilot projects, we’re ready to shine. We’ve been named as one of Canada’s top 10 game-changers by CIX Cleantech, Fast Company’s 2017 World Changing Idea in Energy and one of top 100 Global Cleantech companies for 3 years in the row! We are delivering exciting projects in North America and have partnerships with leading energy players such as National Grid.
At Opus One Solutions we understand that not everyone develops their talent and hones their skills in a traditional way. Different paths and experiences are part of the diversity we know we need to succeed. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking, take a chance and express your interest here.
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off for vacation and personal days
- Annual professional development budget
- Supplementary health insurance
- Health Spending Account
Opus One Solutions welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.