Powering GFI’s policy team to transform the food industry
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of animals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will provide high level project execution and administrative support to GFI’s work to level the regulatory playing field for alternative proteins. The Policy Paralegal will be responsible for:
Who We’re Looking For
- Proofreading and cite-checking legal briefs, comments, and other submissions to courts and government agencies.
- Researching, drafting, and tracking requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Reading and summarizing articles, notices, and reports; conducting basic research into policy issues.
- Assisting with the preparation of persuasive presentations on plant-based and cultivated meat and related regulatory and policy issues for a variety of audiences, including government agencies, nonprofit organizations, universities, and bar associations.
- Supporting alignment and collaboration among GFI’s international affiliates by helping maintain a repository of shared regulatory resources.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The Policy Paralegal must have:
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a strong understanding of legal citation.
- A well-developed work ethic and ability to self-motivate.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work well independently and under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- The ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team.
- Proficiency in Google Drive, MS Word, Powerpoint, and MS Excel.
- Comfort working in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Previous experience as a paralegal or legal assistant.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and people from other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Laura Braden, Lead Regulatory Counsel
- Location: Farragut Square, Washington, D.C.
- Travel: Up to two weeks per year for company retreats.
- Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Salary: $47,000-$51,000
Application Deadline: Rolling