Pledge is the easiest way for businesses and their customers to make a positive environmental impact.
We’re on a mission to raise climate change awareness and support businesses in their net zero transition by offering the tools and software infrastructure to help scale greenhouse gas emissions measurement, reduction and offsetting.
Our founding team is highly ambitious and has a track record of building and developing successful companies and products, including a well-known unicorn. We’re currently operating in stealth.
We are passionate about our mission and are looking to build a team who shares the same motivation for solving complex and real-world problems.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Pledge’s data team first data engineer you'll play a defining role in building out our data models and production pipelines. We are looking for proactive and passionate people who are looking to build end-to-end data solutions which are ready to scale. You'll work in close collaboration with the founders, data scientists and other internal and external stakeholders.
Pledge works with B2B customers across a range of sectors including logistics, travel, and e-commerce amongst others.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Design, build and launch extremely efficient and reliable data infrastructure.
- Partner with data scientists and data analysts to develop high quality data models, tooling and production pipelines.
- Independently design, build and launch new ETL processes in production.
- Collaborate with product managers and data scientists to understand data needs and identify potential data sources.
- Enrich our emission calculation engine and models by collecting and processing a wide variety of datasets.
- Participate in the development of Pledge’s emission calculation algorithms.
- Be an advocate of end-to-end development best practises (e.g. coding, testing, deployment, maintenance).
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Bachelor's/Master's/PhD in STEM (Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering).
- 3+ years of experience as a Data or Software Engineer.
- Fluency in Python, SQL and Unix/bash scripting.
- Ability to write clear, understandable and maintainable code.
- Experience with cloud computing services (e.g. AWS, GCP).
- Strong hands-on data modeling and data warehousing skills.
- Experience querying massive datasets using Spark, Flink, Presto, Hive, etc.
- Experience with workflow orchestrators, such as AWS Glue.
- Experience with notebook-based Data Science workflow.
- Experience with Git, Docker and CI/CD.
- Experience with serverless infrastructure (e.g. AWS Lambda).
- Worked at a large tech company or high growth startup.
- Strong attention to detail to highlight and address data quality issues.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL
- An appetite for technical and technological challenges.
- Awareness of Development and Agile principles.
- You share Pledge’s mission to help businesses make a positive environmental impact.
- You can work autonomously and take ownership with a high degree of integrity.
- You operate best without lots of bureaucracy.
- You have an obsession for solving customer problems and get excited about spending time with users of your products.
- You approach work in a logical way and operate from first principles.
- Stock options - we are all owners of Pledge
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday (excl. bank holidays)
- Pension plan
- Flexible and remote working arrangements
- Learning and development budget for books, courses and conferences
- All the tech you need to perform
- Yearly offsite and team building events
Carbon Accounting & Offsetting, Carbon Removal & Utilization Engineering, Transportation
Biochar Production, Biomass, Tree Plantations (on Degraded Land), Tropical Forest Restoration