At Span, we are building products to enable the rapid adoption of renewable energy. As more distributed energy resources like solar and storage come onto the grid, it’s increasingly important to be able to improve the technology that sits between the grid, the home, and those distributed energy resources. Span’s smart panel replaces the electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home. With Span, homeowners receive all the safety features of a standard panel with revolutionary insights and edge-of-grid controls through our mobile app.
The VP of People Operations is responsible for developing the people, culture, and HR operational initiatives within the organization, ensuring all programming is compliant and scalable and helps drive the company’s growth. This is a high-profile position, reporting to the CEO, with regular visibility to the leadership team. The VP of People Operations manages all aspects of the employee experience at Span, including: recruiting and onboarding, performance management, HR systems, office management, compliance and employee relations, benefits and compensation, and learning and development.
The VP of People Operations plays a key role in building and fostering the company culture and values - using strong communication and influencing skills to create and drive processes, policies, and workflows that are compliant, efficient, scalable, and reflect the company values.
- Company Strategy and Culture: Ensure the organization's People processes, priorities, and strategies are aligned with organizational values and culture
- Diversity and Inclusion: Champion diversity & inclusion efforts across the organization - ensure the continued development and buildout of DEI programming initiatives
- HR Processes: Create and maintain internal policies, procedures, and audit mechanisms that are compliant with applicable law, including US wage and hour, leave requirements, ADA, and other regulations and standards
- Performance Management: Promote a feedback culture - develop a performance management strategy to provide regular coaching and feedback mechanisms
- Recruiting: Structure a recruitment framework that streamlines the recruitment process and empowers our teams to identify top-talent
- Compensation and Benefits: Advise on competitive compensation and benefits programs, including benchmarking and leveling
- HR Systems: Leverage data to influence tech stack and people programming recommendations to help improve processes to enable the organization to scale
- Cross-Functional Team Support and Engagement: Act as the organization’s HR Business Partner (HRBP) to provide support to functional leaders and employees in the areas of: performance coaching, interpersonal conflict and resolution strategies, benefits, immigration and work authorization, organizational strategy, career mapping, competency frameworks, onboarding, and offboarding.
We are seeking a VP of People Operations who has:
- 10+ years of experience in HR / People & Culture
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or a related field
- You have successfully scaled company operations in a start-up environment - ability to be agile & lean are a must
- Experience building and retaining a Diversity Equity and Inclusion program
- Experience partnering with executive/leadership teams
- You are a creative problem-solver who can assess complex issues
- Experience with all aspects of HR compliance
- Experience implementing and maintaining HR systems
- Hands-on contributor, with great attention to detail
- Experience working in the Renewable Energy space
- Experience working for a Hardware company
- You have an HR certification(s)
Life at Span
Span offers a unique opportunity at a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation and early equity at a well-funded, fast-growing, venture-backed company (read more on why Amazon and others invested in Span here and here)
- A sunny 20,000 sq ft hardware lab + office space in SOMA, a stone’s throw from Caltrain and close to BART
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- Additional Span holidays in celebration of causes we believe in (this year so far we provided days off in celebration of Black History in Feb, Women’s History in March, Earth Day in April and Gay Pride & Juneteenth in June)
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Diversity - we are serious about this. Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.