We’re hiring a Data Engineer to work on both existing and new projects that are transforming the energy industry. You’ll be joining our friendly team at an exciting time - we recently secured a round of funding for the next stage in our business, so we’re busy preparing for a period of team and product growth.
As a member of the Data team, you will be central to developing our ability to make better, data-led decisions and handle ever increasing volumes of data. At Piclo, the Data team is an enablement team, and as such you will be expected to collaborate with the majority of the teams within the organisation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Build and maintain our internal data warehouse and associated business analytics tools.
- Collaboration and support with the engineering teams for ensuring we have a robust and performant data infrastructure.
- Advise and assist commercial teams with data processing and analytics.
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
Our ideal candidate meets many - but not necessarily all - of the below criteria:
- You have 2+ years of experience as a data engineer or data adjacent engineering role.
- You are comfortable and familiar with data engineering concepts such as ETL processes, query optimisation, database architecture and database performance.
- You are proficient with SQL, analysing data, and basic statistics.
- You have a good knowledge of data processing in Python.
- You can understand and clearly articulate concepts and relationships in data to technical and non-technical team members alike.
- You are fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language.
- You have familiarity with software development best practices, TDD, git, agile project management.
- You have worked with cloud-based platforms such as AWS.
- You have specific experience with PostgreSQL, AWS RDS/Aurora, docker, serverless architecture, microservices.
- You have experience with NoSQL, event stream processing, data lakes.
- You are familiar with BI tooling (e.g. Tableau, Power BI) fundamentals, or willing to learn.
- You have a background / interest in advanced data science concepts such as machine learning.
What we can offer
This is a full-time role requiring approximately 35-hours per week, Monday-Friday. We imagine you’ll work (mainly) office hours.
- As you’d expect, a competitive salary, with share options comes as standard.
- Life Assurance at 3x salary.
- Private Healthcare.
- Whatever tools you need to get your job done to the best of your abilities. We’ve put a lot of care into making sure your working from home setup is optimised, including a monthly expense budget for extra kit you might need.
- A modest annual allowance to spend on professional development, additional equipment, or your mental and physical wellbeing.
- The opportunity to help shape the role to find the best balance between what we need as a business and your career progression plans.
- We run fortnightly sprint meets for the whole team so everyone is aware and engaged with our progress.
- We stop early every other Friday for Show and Tell, where the tech team demo new features over [now remote] snacks and drinks.
- We also hold weekly virtual coffee mornings and host virtual film clubs and even have a baking slack channel.
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email email@example.com with ‘Data Engineer’ in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include a copy of your CV or the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role in particular.
All being well, we generally conduct interviews in three stages, lasting approximately 2-3 weeks depending on everyone’s calendars.
- We’ll invite you for a short video call to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for in your next role. We aim to respond to applicants within 2-3 working days at most.
- Next up, some applicants will be invited to complete a challenge, which the team will review.
- Successful applicants will then be invited to a more in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team and the CPO, and to pair on a live testing exercise, as well as providing an opportunity for some Q&A about the role, about Piclo, and vice versa.
We see diversity as a strength. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives but can only accept people who have the right to live and work in the UK. We are an equal opportunity employer as well as being a pleasant and supportive place to work.
A small note about remote working
Piclo are in the process of trialling a hybrid model in relation to office attendance.
From 1st October, we will set a company-wide minimum attendance at our chosen office: set at once per month. Initially there will be one chosen office - based in Shoreditch - but multiple offices are possible as we grow internationally. We will also be organising quarterly off-sites with team building (outside the office) where attendance will be compulsory.
The Data Insights team will be required to attend team days once a fortnight. Individual departments or teams have set higher minimum attendance requirements if they believe it’s important for their team function. To be clear, you can attend 5 days per week if you so wish - this is just setting the minimum level that we expect you to adhere to.
Please Note: As we try out this new policy for hybrid remote/in-person working we will not be making any changes to employment contracts.