StreetLight pioneered the use of Big Data analytics to help transportation professionals and data analysts understand mobility behavior. Applying proprietary machine-learning algorithms to over four trillion spatial data points over time, StreetLight measures diverse travel patterns and makes them available on-demand via the world’s first SaaS platform for mobility, StreetLight InSight®. From measuring traffic volumes to identifying trip origins and destinations, to planning for electric vehicles charging, StreetLight powers more than 6,000 global projects every month.StreetLight Data is seeking a creative, versatile, and motivated Senior Data Scientist to be part of our growing team. This team member will lead data science projects to develop exciting new algorithms for our product, as well as help productize those algorithms into our scalable StreetLight InSight® analytics platform. This position reports to the Data Science Manager.
Position may be located in San Francisco, CA or Vancouver, BC.
- Design algorithms to infer key transportation patterns from various data sources
- Research and implement suitable strategies (e.g. regression models, neural networks, etc.) for solving data science problems
- Find and build real-world data sets for training various models and doing quality checks
- Productize data science algorithms within the StreetLight InSight® platform, in collaboration with the Application Engineering team
- Create visualizations and dashboards to help tell stories with data
- Define and implement customized and/or cutting-edge solutions for customers
Skills & Requirements
- BS/MS in Mathematics, Computer Science or an Engineering discipline from a top university. Alternatively, a PhD focused on quantitative research and discovering insights from data is acceptable in lieu of a BS/MS plus experience.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in data science and/or statistics, using tools such as R or Python
- 2+ years of experience in SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL preferred), and good understanding of relational concepts
- Strong understanding of techniques in data science (machine learning algorithms, regression analysis, etc.)
- Strong data analysis skills, knowing what can/cannot be possible, and ability to visualize data in the best way possible
- Good communication skills - written, visual (presentations), and verbal
- Ability to deliver adequate results on deadline, and make compromises to enable scalability and productization of algorithms
- Geo-spatial skills are a plus
- Knowledge of transportation data / industry is a plus
- Quick learner, and a strong team player
StreetLight Data is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. StreetLight Data provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.