The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together - not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
As OVO moves closer to 5m customers, we are starting to reshape our data teams to enable our strategy to provide a world leading, carbon net zero, and digitally enabled experience. The data teams operate in a federated structure, with both central and embedded teams, to support our growing scale and ambition. Reporting into the Head of Data Science for the Operations area, you’ll support the implementation of ‘domain data enablement’, and manage Data Scientists & Analysts embedded in the Billing, Collections and Payments domains, also covering our pay as you go brand, Boost Energy. You’ll be responsible for ensuring your team have achievable career progression plans, work closely with stakeholders to deliver according to prioritisation, and make sure that each domain has the correct data resource to enable success.
What will I be doing?
Key responsibilities include:
- Line management of analysts and data scientists with a variety of seniority.
- Mentor members of your team, build career progression plans, encourage them to question requirements, and understand the value they deliver.
- Working with leadership and product managers within business domains to collaborate on workload management and priorities.
- Active involvement in planning and delivery of key domain projects and strategies, proactively identifying opportunities to solve business problems and improve processes with data models and methods.
- Advise on data vis and storytelling best practices for key domain projects using frameworks (such as Minto’s pyramid, SCQA, and the hero’s journey).
- Identify where Data Engineer/Data Analyst/Data Scientist resource is required, and work with the Head of Department to fulfil the domain data needs.
- Participate in analytics community leadership across OVO for e.g. a consistent approach to development, and developing best practices for the analyst community.
- Assemble cross functional squads in the domains you support to align Data, Product, and Technology resource
Is this the job for me?
- Experience in leading a team, delivering data solutions, and actionable insights for stakeholders.
- Proven ability in delivering high-quality data analysis, translating into true commercial impact within a business.
- Able to support career progression for their team, including choosing career paths in data analytics, data science, or management.
- Spot opportunities for data science, and support conversations regarding ‘buy or build your own’ decisions.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills - able to articulate results clearly and concisely to senior stakeholders.
- Business savvy with a good understanding of the role of the different departments of a well operating business as well as a vision of the Data Science and Analytics need in each of these departments.
- Theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience in using advanced analytical techniques.
- Curious, with a voracious appetite to learn.
- Significant experience in a statistical and analytical role, inclusive of manager experience roles.
- Ability to communicate and engage both a technical and non technical audience.
- Experience managing data specialists embedded in cross functional product and technology teams
- Hands on use of key analytical technologies and services (SQL, Tableau or equivalent, Python or R, Github or equivalent)
Ideally you will have:
- Degree educated in a numeric, scientific or engineering discipline.
- Masters/PhD advantageous.
- Experience in cloud data services, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure etc
From us you’ll get*
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- Flexible working hours
- And many more...
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies on our careers page and Glassdoor. We’re also delighted to have received a Top Employers certificate in 2018, 2019 and 2020!