About Build a Climate Startup (*)
We are a climate tech venture studio and investor based in Europe, on a mission to eliminate at least one gigaton of CO2eq from annual emissions.
The climate crisis is the most pressing challenge of our times. Breakthrough technologies will be crucial to reach net zero, as available solutions only get us halfway. However, we cannot place all our hopes in classic tech transfer. The urgency requires an intentional approach to engineer and deploy massively scalable solutions for hard-to-abate emissions.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to build deeptech climate startups in areas like energy, industry, buildings, carbon removal, and more. As Founders-in-Residence, they work with us to identify high-impact opportunities, and shape the most promising idea into a new company. We invest in the best teams at pre-seed.
(*) We'll have a new name soon!
About The Role
We are hiring a Talent Analyst to coordinate our talent sourcing efforts, and help us promote the programme in relevant ecosystems. The role is ideal for a people person who thrives in a science and technology environment, is passionate about deeptech entrepreneurship, and has a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
You will work in close collaboration with our Partners to find exceptional individuals with deep domain expertise aligned with our thematic areas, and strong entrepreneurial potential that you will learn to screen for in passive candidates.
You will have the opportunity to work with brilliant Founders on a mission turn the tide on the climate crisis. You will also get exposure to key studio activities, including the definition of our focus areas, our venture creation program, and investment.
This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor as we aim to create a new home for early-stage climate deeptech in Europe.
Location: HQ in Paris. Flexible remote, geographical proximity is preferred.
Language: English fluency required. French fluency ideal. Any other EU language is a plus.
You will be primarily in charge of sourcing exceptional Founders-in-Residence to join our venture building program. They are typically scientists, engineers, and operators with deep domain expertise aligned with target climate problems, and raw potential to become a stellar Founder. Your responsibilities will vary but mostly fall into five main pillars:
- Talent Sourcing. You will identify and reach out to passive outlier candidates with strong technical expertise and/or background related to our focus areas. You will leverage an optimal mix of channels (LinkedIn, ResearchGate, online communities, events, etc.) and engage with professors and network leaders to get high-quality referrals.
- Pipeline & Process. You will cultivate applications throughout the process to build and maintain a top talent pipeline. You will interview candidates and coordinate the hiring and onboarding process, with a data-driven approach to suggesting improvements and new strategies to increase efficiency and diversity.
- Founder Experience. You will ensure the delivery of an outstanding Founder experience, from onboarding to programme activities and the recruitment of co-founders. You will strive to anticipate and resolve the challenges they might face.
- Marketing & Community. You will promote the programme in relevant ecosystems through events and online channels. You will coordinate social media and content (call for founders, articles, newsletter, ...) and lead our efforts to grow a thriving community that provides value to Founders, investors, advisors, as well as prospective applicants.
- Ecosystem. You will be one of our main ambassadors in key talent ecosystems in France, Europe and globally, such as top schools, universities, labs, networking groups, and climate tech communities. You will help us develop a long-term engagement strategy to help us secure a steady flow of exceptional talent for the years to come.
Progress and plans for future work will be summarised in regular reports to our Partners. You will have the opportunity to hire and manage interns and other collaborators.
The role will occasionally involve travel to attend conferences and other events.
Skills & Profile
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend most of your time sourcing candidates, managing the recruitment pipeline, and spreading the word about our programme. Your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes, but if you recognise yourself below, we would love to hear from you:
- You have a demonstrated interest for talent acquisition in deepech, and you are familiar with the relevant methods, tools and networks.
- You have an eye for Founder talent, and you recognise a great team when you see one.
- You have a scientific background and/or a passion for science, especially in fields that are related to climate solutions. Ideally, you already have a first experience in a deeptech startup, a research lab, or in a tech transfer office.
- You love engaging with scientists and engineers who may work in highly specialist fields, and understanding their work. You are fascinated by the wonders of chemistry, materials science, biotechnology, clean energy, machine learning, and more.
- You are intellectually curious, and able to quickly grasp key concepts by speaking with experts and reading summary materials.
- You love meeting new people and excel at managing and nurturing relationships. You are approachable, empathetic, and generous.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to produce engaging online content, as well as presenting in public. Ideally, you have an intuitive sense of design and you are able to create compelling visual narratives.
- You are naturally at ease with social media and digital marketing. Ideally, you have prior experience working toward generating media exposure, or (even better) you built and grew a community using online channels and events.
- You are a creative thinker, and you enjoy finding new routes to get the word out.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and you enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. You have a natural ability to prioritise tasks and manage your time.
- You can quickly and seamlessly transition from team player to individual focused work with minimal directions.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
What We Offer
- €40k - €50k brut annual salary (CDI) based on experience
- Participation in profits from portfolio investments
- Flexible remote: HQ in Paris. Work from home or a coworking space. We are remote-first but meet weekly in Paris. This might evolve: we're still experimenting!
- Team + Founder offsites (every 8-10 weeks)
- Exposure to our network of top investors, mentors & advisors
- 40 days off = 25 standard + 10 forfait jours + 5 over christmas and new year
- 1 paid 'learn week' to develop your professional skills in a relevant area
- Benefits: health insurance (Alan), meal vouchers (Swile), 50% commute refund
- Perks: wellness (gym, sport, yoga, ...) and development allowances (books, courses, etc)
How To Apply
Fill in this form application. You will be asked for the following:
- Your CV + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A concise cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
- An example of institution or network that could be a great source of talent. In one sentence, describe your approach to build a pipeline from there.
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
Atmosphere, Buildings & Cities, Carbon Removal & Utilization Engineering, Energy, Food & Agriculture, Funding, Materials & Manufacturing, Research & Education
Alternative Cement, Alternative Refrigerants, Bamboo Production, Biochar Production, Biomass, Building Retrofitting, Distributed Energy Storage, Distributed Solar Photovoltaics, District Heating, Efficient Ocean Shipping, Efficient Trucks, Electric Trains, Electric Bikes, Geothermal Power, Grid Flexibility, High-Efficiency Heat Pumps, Net Zero Buildings, Offshore Wind Turbines, Onshore Wind Turbines, Waste-to-Energy