At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
About This Role
We are seeking a responsible, self-starting, strongly team-oriented Operations Engineer to join our growing Field Operations team. In this role you will be a critical part of the Apeel organization, working directly with the Apeel Technical Field Specialists, Field Operations Supervisor(s) and customers at their packing house facility to apply the Apeel product to fresh produce. You will ensure operations are fast and efficient, while creating an environment that puts people, quality, and safety first.
This opportunity will cover sites in Maasdijk, Netherlands. Your schedule may vary to include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
What You’ll Do
- Support customer sites in a region by proactively monitoring and maintaining the health of Apeel processes/equipment by quickly troubleshooting and resolving problems.
- Support sites by safely and effectively operating, cleaning, sanitizing, and maintaining the mixing, application, and drying equipment to apply the Apeel product onto produce.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors with a clear focus on food safety and occupational health safety of employees, and produce product quality.
- Support capital project execution, acting as Project Engineer overseeing planning, installation and commissioning of Apeel equipment and startup of commercial operations as needed.
- Lead continuous improvement projects to drive an increase in productivity and revenue with customers and Apeel Customer Success Managers and Technical Field Specialists.
- Track projects’ statuses, manage list of action items and provide regular updates.
- Update, train and verify compliance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Lead repairs and projects with contractors, Apeel Design Engineers, Apeel EHS Specialists, Quality Assurance staff, and Apeel Technical Field Specialists.
- Ensure execution of preventive, corrective, and scheduled maintenance programs.
- Use equipment indicators to monitor reliability, capacity and capability (e.g., OEE).
- Collect and analyze product quality data on Apeel-treated produce as needed.
What You Bring
- Bachelor's degree in technical field, such as Mechanical, Chemical or Industrial Engineering
- 2+ years of experience as an engineer in a production or manufacturing environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; able to work cross functionally with all departments and customers
- Extremely detailed and process oriented with the ability to troubleshoot equipment
- Experience with LEAN, 5-Why’s, Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA), Six Sigma, Design of Experiments (DOE), etc.
- Experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs), automation, and controls systems
- Integrity, initiative, & team spirit that fits a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities according to changing requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite including Excel, Email, Calendar, etc.
- Ability to work indoors/outdoors in cold and/or hot environments and lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including mornings, nights, weekends and holidays
- Willing to travel (regional/national/international as needed) is required (up to 60%)
- Must possess valid driver license and access to reliable transportation
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.