Form Energy is a team of passionate people tackling the challenge of climate change through transformationally low cost energy storage. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems in massive markets and embody our values of humanity, excellence and creativity. The company is backed by a diverse set of committed investors and we have raised over $360M to date.Role Description
The Business Development & Analytics team at Form Energy is looking for an intern to support the Analytics team. As an intern on the Analytics team, you will work on analyses for commercial clients and/or R&D for energy systems modeling. This role requires close coordination with other teams such as Commercial Operations, Software, and Product Management. The broader goal of the Analytics team is to enable deployment of multi-day storage. We do this by: 1) facilitating commercial discussions with clients, 2) utilizing our in-house optimization software, Formware, to lead cutting-edge strategic discussions around policy and market engagement, and 3) developing and maintaining tools that allow us to continue growing our analytics framework. The role will require a knowledge base in data science and Python, and a familiarity with energy systems optimization. The role is flexible to incorporate the interests and strengths of the intern, but will focus on ‘special projects’ that include new features or target broad analyses on the level of integrated resource plans (IRPs). Examples of potential projects include development and QA of Formware features, implementation of new features into analyses, exploration of modeling assumptions and their implications for policy and market discussions, or developing pre- and post-processing analysis architecture.
What You'll Do:
- Aid in the core value analysis that drives our project proposals for our customers. This process involves:
- 1- Mapping customer requirements to economic and optimization model specifications
- 2- Aggregating and cleaning data.
- 3- Setting up and running complex, optimization-based models (e.g. Formware).
- 4- Interpreting and visualizing model outputs (“storytelling with data”).
- 5- Simple financial analysis (quick pro-forma modeling).
- Be the voice of the value proposition/ analysis for the customers in Form’s internal deal processes.
- Work with Form’s Analytics Product Management, Software Engineering, Software R&D, and Commercial Operations teams to:
- 1- Improve Form Energy's processes around analytics projects, resulting in faster, more effective, and more profitable engagements
- 2- Formulate production-quality requirements for developing new tools or features that allow Form to deliver or communicate differentiated value.
- Create collateral - slides, memos, papers - and storytelling techniques to communicate deeply technical and complex analyses in a clear and concise fashion to internal and external stakeholders.
What You'll Bring:
- A candidate pursuing a Bachelor's / Master's degree in energy, economics, engineering, mathematics, or other technical subjects.
- Ability to solve problems at the interface of optimization, energy, and project development.
- Interest in U.S. power market fundamentals and dynamics.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interface effectively with software and BD teams.
- Ability to collect and organize large data sets, run extensive quantitative analysis to address complex questions and present complex results in clear compelling ways.
- Experience using Python to perform complex analyses (primarily Pandas, Numpy, and data visualization tools such as Altair and Plotly).
- Professional software engineering experience is not required or expected.
- A generous, team-oriented mentality and work style
- Passion for the mission!
Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page. At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.