Media Prep / Glassware Technician – Hayward, CA
About Pivot Bio:
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read/Hear more about Pivot Bio on Forbes on PBS News Hour.
Position: Media Prep/Glassware Technician, Hayward, CA
We are looking for a Media Prep/Glassware Technician to join our Lab Services team located in Hayward, CA. This role provides essential support to our research teams in the preparation of all media, buffers and plates, and in the cleaning and sterilizing of glassware and consumables. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a team-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
· Accurately prepare media per recipe or customer guidelines following established protocols and SOPs.
· Aseptic technique.
· Clean, sterilize and overall handling of glassware including fermentation bioreactors. Sterilize, restock and maintain par levels of all commonly stocked liquid media, plates and glassware.
· Biohazard waste decontamination and disposal.
· Laboratory inventory oversight a plus.
· Effective time management and project prioritization.
· Perform general lab maintenance of equipment, inventory and housekeeping per department procedures.
· Follow safety guidelines, equipment procedures, and chemical handling guidelines.
· Provide exceptional customer service.
· Operate autoclaves, industrial glassware washers, plate fillers and agar dispensers.
· Troubleshoot issues and follow up as necessary to ensure resolution.
· Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
· B.S. in biological sciences, chemistry or related field plus 1-2 years of experience OR high school diploma/GED plus six (6) years lab experience or equivalent experience required.
· Minimum two (2) years of experience in Media Prep.
· Able to work on your feet, standing or walking up to 50% of shift.
· Able to occasionally team-lift up to 75 lbs.
· Effective time management and organizational skills, strong math skills.
· Strong customer service skills, problem-solving skills and ability to work independently.
· Must be fluent in Microsoft Office and know how to use a computer to access the internet.
· Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.