At Sofar we connect the world’s oceans. We build the technology to create global awareness of ocean weather, climate, and ocean health. Our unique ocean data provides insights to science and society, and our products make ocean industries more sustainable. As a mission-driven team we combine the best in ocean science and Bay Area innovation to capture the canvas of our oceans and drive the new Blue Economy.
You will be a key contributor to the mechanical design and manufacturing of all our hardware products – working from high level system architecture through transition to manufacturing. You will weigh risks, options and outcomes with your teammates, exercising sound design judgement. You thrive in small and collaborative multidisciplinary teams, and are eager to pitch in to debug and solve gnarly issues (even when it's obviously a software bug). You strive for the shared success of improving the health of our oceans and planet by shipping a cohesive, solid and impactful product.
Some projects you’ll be a part of:
- Building new Bristlemouth integrations for Spotter and Smart Mooring
- Developing next generation platforms
- Advanced research and experiments with new and emerging technologies
- Integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks
- Conceptualize and model solutions to mechanical and manufacturing problems in CAD
- Build and test prototypes
- Own the design of multiple subassemblies and lead mechanical design discussions among internal and external teams
- Work closely with electrical, firmware and manufacturing engineers
- Collaborate with product, sales, support and directly with customers to find ways of enabling new marine sensing applications
- Work directly with external vendors and contract manufacturers
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Competent in 3D CAD systems (Solidworks preferred)
- You have participated in the mechanical design of products that have shipped to customers
- You have participated in transitioning designs to contract manufacturers
- You have experience creating 2D drawings and tracking revision changes in a BOM
- A multidisciplinary skillset with some experience in electronics or software
- Experience designing for systems in aerospace, automotive, robotics or marine applications
- Knowledge of materials suitable for use in marine and/or other harsh environment applications
- FEA modeling and analysis for static, cyclic, and thermal load cases
- Experience designing o-ring seals for water proofing in harsh environments
- Operating manual lathe and milling machines
- A passion for or connection to the ocean
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.