The Director of Development & Communications will oversee a comprehensive communications program consistent with Confluence Philanthropy's values-aligned investment mission and develop and execute on annual fundraising plans.
Confluence Philanthropy’s mission is to transform the practice of investing by aligning capital with its community’s values of sustainability, equity, and justice. Its goal is to build a vibrant community of practice and support its members to learn from each other, connect, collaborate, and influence the flow of capital to ultimately transform the practice of investing. It strongly encourages peer learning, resource sharing, and leadership development.
Confluence Philanthropy supports and catalyzes a membership network of private, public, and community foundations; family offices; individual donors; and their values-aligned investment advisors representing more than $92 billion in philanthropic assets under management, and over $3.5 trillion in managed capital. Members are committed to full portfolio activation when prudent and feasible.
The Director of Development & Communications will
- lead the team in devising and supporting the implementation of annual fundraising and culativation plans;
- support the ongoing development and stewardship of funder and prospect relationships with individuals, foundations, and corporations through donor-centered funder and prospect communications incorporating stewardship best practices;
- work closely with the program teams to develop and submit funding requests, including grants and sponsorships;
- conduct topical research and collaborate with a range of partners, members, and external organizations to create successful proposals;
- oversee the design, development, and dissemination of all print and online development communications that promote Confluence’s brand and mission, including annual reports, grant reports, visibility campaigns, press releases, website content and blog posts, event promos and mailings, as well as generate content using compelling member stories, data, infographics, and information provided by program staff;
- develop and execuyte on a comprehensive communications plan, aligned with annual fundraising plans in collaboration with senior leadership;
- develop and nurture relationships with journalists and media outlets covering the investment community; and
- work with the Digital Associate to implement and manage the social media strategy and presence for Confluence programs and events, including coordinating and organizing content from members and staff.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Confluence Philanthropy seeks a Director of Development & Communications with
- a commitment to Confluence Philanthropy's mission and a passion for environmental and socially responsible investing and/or innovations in the philanthropic, social enterprise, and non-profit sectors;
- a demonstrated understanding of the field of impact investing;
- strong written and oral communication skills;
- an ability to organize ideas, synthesize information, and turn objectives and messages into compelling and succinct narratives for philanthropic support;
- fluency with technology in marketing and communications, and experience managing social media campaigns and strategies;
- attention to detail, highly developed organizational skills, an efficient and self-directed work style, and a belief that no task is too big or too small;
- an ability to perform well under pressure, with patience and a sense of humor;
- design experience (Adobe Suite preferred); and
- skill with CRM systems (Salesforce preferred) to track opportunities and maintain relationships.
A bachelor's degree is required for this position as is at least five years of fundraising and/or marketing experience in a field with relevance to values-aligned investing.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Confluence Philanthropy offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including healthcare and retirement.
This position is located in New York City. Staff are currently working remotely due to Covid-19 restrictions.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of Confluence Philanthropy as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the prospectus. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the successful candidate has been selected.