Welcome to the future of energyWe’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future and better for our customer’s wallets with fair and affordable plans. Through our proprietary platform and custom-built stack, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, we’re revolutionizing what’s possible in energy. We’re transforming the way people interact with their energy company, by making it approachable, easy-to-understand, and most importantly, 100% renewable. We’ve distinguished ourselves by being named 2020’s Energy Provider of the Year, which highlights our commitment to exceptional customer service. We’ve just hopped across the pond in the US and are making big strides in Texas...but that’s only the beginning. Come join our rapidly growing team as we continue to break barriers in energy.
We have a rare opportunity for an attorney to join our team in Houston. This role will provide local counsel for FERC & state permitting as well as general counsel around corporate initiates. This role will work in partnership with our legal team in the UK as well as our business leaders in the US. The role offers a challenging and exciting opportunity to work on a wide range of legal matters, from licensing deals for our proprietary tech platform ‘Kraken’, to investment M&A transactions as we expand our business in the US and across the globe, to building our Electric Vehicles leasing business, to the roll out of community solar projects and EV charge point installation network – and everything else in-between. No two days are the same at Octopus Energy. We’re looking for an attorney to join our tight-knit team and help support our business across all these areas as we continue to grow at rapid pace.
What you'll do
- You’ll lead the review, drafting and negotiation of various types of contracts and documentation to support our business.
- You’ll support our regulatory applications with FERC and various state commissions as we rapidly grow our US footprint. Experience in retail energy, FERC 745/2222, and community solar a plus.
- It’s hard to write a definitive list because as Octopus Energy evolves, so does the type of work we support. We’re looking for someone who is smart, versatile and up for the challenge of working on a wide variety of different transactions. Some examples of the types of documents we often work with include:SPAs and shareholders agreementspartnership and energy sales agreementslicensing arrangementsfinancing documentsmetering procurement, financing and installation contracts energy supply contractspower purchase agreementscontracts to support our electric vehicles businessgoods and services, innovative trials and collaboration agreementssupport with our energy supply license obligationsall the usual day-to-day advice and queries that an in-house legal team can expect to support on, such as data protection, competition compliance, employment advice and intellectual property matters.
- We try and do as much work as we can in-house – it’s more fun that way. But for some of our larger transactions (such as acquisitions and investments) we use our panel of external law firms. The Legal team will always be closely involved in these transactions and you would help us to select, liaise with and manage our external counsel, building our relationships to ensure successful delivery & cost effectiveness.
- You’ll help monitor, manage and mitigate legal risks associated with all areas of the Octopus Energy business. You’ll need to make sure that you stay on top of changing relevant legislation to support the business operating in a compliant way.
- You’ll provide counsel to business leaders so we can quickly understand legal risks and trade offs as we grow quickly and support customers to the best of our ability. You’ll need to interact well with staff at PUCs across the country.
- We have a very flat, open structure at Octopus Energy. You’ll be reporting to our US CEO, but will work closely with various members of the US team across all levels. You’ll be expected to be independent and run with your own projects with relatively light supervision.
What you'll need
- You don’t have to be an energy lawyer - we are primarily a technology company in the energy industry, so we cover lots of different areas beyond just energy! Some experience of having worked in-house, or even experience in a business role would be a real benefit so that you’re familiar with the variety and fast paced nature of an in-house role at a rapidly expanding global business like Octopus Energy
- To be a fully qualified US lawyer. We expect that you’ll have at least 2-3 years of experience and be capable of managing your own workload
- Be comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment with direct exposure to senior management and stakeholders
- Be excellent at prioritization and working proactively and efficiently. Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time
- A friendly approach with great organizational skills and attention to detail
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team, willing to work hard and ‘muck in’ to help out other members of the team
- Comfortable asking the “stupid question” or challenging the status quo
- To think outside the box and come up with innovative ways of doing things. Octopus Energy is made up of incredibly driven, smart and innovative people and so you’ll need a forward-thinking approach to keep up (there may not always be a ready-made precedent for what you’ve been asked to help with!)
- Be comfortable providing advice in a flexible, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment where priorities may be changeable and often have tight turnaround times
- You’ll need a sensible commercial approach to succeed here. We rotate through opportunities so each of us benefits from variety, diverse experiences and broader learning. Sometimes we divide things between us, sometimes we tag team with one "lead" and one "support". We’re flexible, but the principle is that we should all be interested, motivated and inspired when we come to work
- We believe that the retail energy provider is in a natural position to be the change-agent for deep decarbonization and the electrification of everything. You’ll be supporting to bring the legal foundation of these pieces together into one central customer experience
- Have a genuine interest in Octopus Energy’s mission
Why you'll love it here
If this all sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you. At Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options including FSAs
- Unlimited paid time off — we know working hard means also being able to recharge as needed, we trust our employees to get the work done and take the time they need.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Parental leave. Biological, adoptive and foster parents are all eligible.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Flexible working environment: you need to shift around your schedule? You do you, we genuinely believe in work/life balance.
- Equity Options: every Octopus employee owns part of the business. We’re a team, working together towards huge goals. Every person is crucial to our success, you should be rewarded as such.
- Modern office or co-working spaces depending on location.