Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website
to see if there is an Imperfect near you!Please consider completing the optional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) survey below. Doing so will help keep us accountable to the DEI commitments we have made as a company. By choosing to disclose elements of your identity, you are informing us about our candidate pool and the ways we can continue to improve making Imperfect Foods an inclusive company for everyone. Responses will in no way affect your candidacy for the position you apply for. Information collected will be kept secure and confidential and will be used solely to evaluate our DEI efforts. We thank you in advance for helping us to become a better company for people of all backgrounds.About the Role:As the Production Manager for our operation in Northlake, IL you are directly responsible for overseeing and assisting in the day to day operations. You will manage, mentor, and develop a team of associates who ultimately ensure that our customers have a great experience when they open their boxes. This is an exciting time to join the team because you will play a huge part in shaping this operation and building a blueprint for future launches in new cities. You will be reporting to Director of Production and assisting them in ensuring a successful assembly and delivery of produce boxes from our warehouse in Northlake, IL.
- Manage warehouse associates and ensure adequate staffing by scheduling, training, and mentoring in order to meet performance metrics and operate efficiently. Responsible for administering warehouse associate corrective actions, hiring/firing, promotions, forecast, work plan etc.
- Work with the QC team across to ensure all are aligned on the standards and develop key protocols for receiving, processing, and releasing of products for packing
- Developing continuous feedback cycles to inform QC procedures to maintain quality standards for produce amongst the teams
- Take control of all aspects of the production of boxes: setting up the line, packing, and cleaning up at the end of each shift
- Manage the inventory spreadsheet for warehouse supplies to ensure that the team has enough supplies to operate seamlessly on a day to day basis. Order necessary supplies on a weekly basis, including packaging materials
- Coordinate with the Customer Care team to notify customers of potential shorts or substitutions and maintain a constant loop for customer feedback
- Coordinate with the marketing team to ensure we have appropriate collateral for boxes
- Own all major decisions around the pack line flow and all supporting ops functions as well as bottom lining food safety and warehouse safety
- Oversee and own the process of shutting down the line and cleaning up the warehouse. Use the checklist of warehouse closing responsibilities and manage the warehouse employees during closing and daily cleaning process
- Keep a constant eye out for opportunities to improve the operational flow, key metrics, employee happiness, food safety and warehouse safety at Imperfect and relay those to the Ops Leadership Team
- Own key KPI’s around order accuracy, quality issues, and underweight items
- Decide whether overtime is needed for individual employees and ensure we have enough people to close the pack-line
- Make the call on any employee requests to leave early on pack days
- Help to coach and develop pack and prep team, giving adequate feedback through regular 1:1 session
- Support the hiring and promotion process for pack employees, including helping to give input to evaluate employee performance on the pack line
Skills and Qualifications:
- 2-3 years experience in a Leadership/Manager role
- Experience in the fresh produce/food industry
- Working knowledge of optimization techniques and process flow improvements
- Experience managing a nimble, fast-growing team
- Computer skills, particularly Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Energetic and excited about Imperfect
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task
- Excels at independent, unsupervised work
- You’re able to stay focused and work efficiently both alone and as part of a team
- You’re able to multi-task and see the big picture
- You’re comfortable "making the call" on decisions big and small
- You're a natural leader who is comfortable redirecting and giving feedback
- You pay excellent attention to detail
- You have creative problem-solving skills
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of the Position:
- This position reports to the Director of Production
- $50-60k/ year. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- The full-time exempt position that supports the growth and performance of the market.
- $100 a month in free groceries
- Yearly Merit Increases
- Quarterly Bonus
- Stock Options
Imperfect's commitment to DEIImperfect Foods is steadfast in our commitment to being an actively anti-racist company.We understand that it is necessary to take ownership and accountability for building an equitable workplace where all members of our organization can truly belong. It is our responsibility to ensure that every department at every level of our business reflects the diversity of the world we live in. We aim to achieve this through our hiring practices and by championing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) programming that fosters a supportive work environment where everyone can thrive and have connections across teams. DEI programming is available for all employees and we highly encourage staff participation. It is only with everyone’s unique perspectives, experiences, and beliefs that we can help shape a culture of belonging and create an environment where all Imperfectionists are celebrated.U.S. E-Verify Notice:
- Ability to walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, and kneel
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds
- Sedentary work; involves sitting some of the time
- Standing desks and/or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Occasional movement around the office and warehouse may be necessary
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
- Able to work in cold temperatures in a refrigerated environment
Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.COVID update for on-site employees: All Imperfect Foods employees must be fully vaccinated to be on-site or at company functions. For roles that require an employee to be on-site to fulfill their job functions: job offers are contingent on providing proof of vaccination (e.g., a copy of a vaccine card or other similar official document confirming vaccination status).
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.