Project Canary is a growth-stage, SaaS and certification company combatting climate change from an incredible vantage point that can impact oil & gas, utilities, landfills, and ag. We are a Public Benefit Corp (B-Corp rating score 107) that helps monitor and mitigate emissions in the ESG landscape favored by communities and investors alike through independent data tied to carbon and environmental footprints. With flexible work environments in Denver,
Project Canary’s mission is to make net-zero a reality by quantifying climate change and putting actionable insights into the hands of the energy sector. Our diverse and inclusive team of operators, scientists, engineers, and sales leaders know how to network, hustle, and are change-makers by design. We ingest data from various sources, including our own proprietary environmental sensors/hardware, to calculate carbon emissions from different facilities in real-time displayed on a SaaS dashboard. The resulting independent trusted data can inform the procurement of offsets in real-time using micro-transactions, formulate a data-driven ESG strategy that investors now demand, improve operations by identifying problem areas in minutes, and bolster customer engagement through radical supply chain transparency.
Initially, we are focused on the energy industry. With thousands of energy assets analyzed and hundreds of environmental and air quality sensors currently deployed, Project Canary is positioned better than anyone to provide empirical ESG data—and we have the ARR and growing pains to prove it.
Project Canary’s success is attributed to the motivation, skill, and teamwork of everyone. The team understands the importance of maintaining a culture where relationships are valued, feedback is crucial, and trust in each other and our products/services is paramount. If you enjoy a growth-stage environment, mission-driven work, we want to hear from you.
As a scaling PBC, we have excellent healthcare, a people-first orientation, and a sustainability core. Recently, we were recognized as Best for the World, in the top 5% of all B-Corps in the world for the category of Workers. It means we were recognized for our culture and our commitment to creating a people-centric value system.
The Data Scientist will be part of the Data and Analytics team responsible for research and development of advanced predictive modeling to diverse problems across the oil and gas, utilities, and waste management value chain.
You are a team player who has a significant academic and industrial experience applying first principle-based models such as CFD and reduced order models and state of the art machine learning (Regression, Classification, Decision Trees, Random Forests) and deep learning techniques (CNN, RNN, LSTM, GRU).
- Support Data and Analytics team through development of plume dispersion modeling to resolve complex fluid problems in an open field
- Execute the certification through the review of a company's documentation, personnel interviews, and evaluation of well pad design
- Assist the development of white papers for quantification analysis as well as additional technical and professional writing
- Engagement with various disciplines within the Project Canary team including science, software, and regulatory members
- Develop and support scientific projects that enhance our understanding of methane emission patterns and opportunities for enhanced methane mitigation from production and distribution of oil and gas globally
- Play a role in designing, planning and execution of PC expanding work on quantifying methane emissions using first principal engineering methods, mathematical models, and statistical analysis
- Coordinate and ensure rigor of scientific initiatives collaboratively undertaken with a diverse group of stakeholders including industry, academics, multilateral organizations, and the public sector
- Remain at the forefront of climate science, including staying up to date with scientific literature
Education and experience:
- 3+ years' experience quantifying emissions data
- Strong background in fluid flow, CFD, Data Analytics
- Competent in programming languages such as Python, C#, and Matlab
- At least a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant engineering field
- Advanced degree and/or professional certifications helpful
- Experience in performing rigorous analysis with short deadlines in support of highly visible work
- Demonstrated scientific expertise, including but not limited to a record of scholarly publications and/or involvement in scientific panels
- Experience synthesizing, interpreting, and communicating scientific data in an advocacy setting and for non-scientific populations
- Full coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K company match
- Student loan assistance
- Salary range: $90,000- $120,000 annual base
- Stock options
- World recognized work culture - ranked top 5% of all B-Corps
Project Canary provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.