The Forest Products Chain of Custody Auditor’s primary service is to conduct Chain of Custody audits for a European network of clients. This is a remote, contracted position based anywhere in Europe.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
- Other Chain of Custody Program services, as applicable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct robust and detailed Chain of Custody audits
- Perform audits in industrial and urban settings, at companies such as sawmills, door manufacturers, veneer manufacturers, paper distributors, and printers, etc. and write high-quality audit reports
- Independently, or with teams, assess management practices of organizations related to applicable certification standards
- Be proficient in program and certification requirements, ensuring a pragmatic approach to a wide range of auditing circumstances while maintaining the integrity of the certification scheme (e.g. FSC, PEFC, SBP, etc.)
- Communicate regularly with clients ensuring that Corrective Action Requests are closed within appropriate deadlines
- Communicate Chain of Custody requirements to clients clearly, effectively, and concisely
This position is eligible for a one-time generous hiring bonus for auditors new to SCS upon agreement to a 2-year work contract.
- Fluency in English and Dutch and work experience that involves professional and technical written communication in English and Dutch.
- Currently qualified as a FSC and/or PEFC Lead Auditor
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong customer service and teamwork orientation
- Initiative, good judgment, ability to work independently, responsive and adaptive personality
- Applied experience in auditing and/or quality assurance
- Proficient with business software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Information Communication Technology tools (Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally for audits as needed
- COVID-19 vaccination status will be requested, pursuant to local and national law.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, sustainability, environmental studies, or a related field
- ISO training certification or willingness to complete the ISO training offered by SCS
- Two (2) years of professional experience in the forest products sector
- Bachelor’s degree is preferable or in lieu of the bachelor’s degree a minimum 4 years of professional experience in the forest products sector
This is a home office-based job, which could require travel to offsite customer sites. Sit 6+ hours per day. Keyboarding 6+ hours per day.
Work Environment and requirements
Primarily a home office role with local, domestic and international trips for chain of custody audits.