Where We Are Today
Project Vesta, PBC operates through a hybrid funding structure, which is particularly relevant for this role. Part of the funding for our scientific research is from the Coastal Carbon Capture Impact Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity. Project Vesta relies on generous donations from philanthropic supporters, foundations, and grants to continue to apply charitable dollars to our foundational research. With $6.5M raised in philanthropic funding to date, we’re now focused on raising $7.6M in philanthropic donations to fill our funding gap for 2022.
Within our for-profit Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) structure, Project Vesta is developing a commercial model for Coastal Carbon Capture through the sale of carbon removal credits and the expansion of our corporate, NGO, and policy partnerships. We’re an early-stage startup with an exceptional culture, dedicated to making a difference in addressing the climate crisis on a planetary scale.
In order to accomplish these goals, you’ll work directly with the Director of Business Development, a Cofounder and member of the Executive Team, in two areas. First, you’ll help achieve our not-for-profit fundraising goals. Second, you’ll help us build and develop relationships with key external stakeholders such as corporate partners, NGOs, and government agencies. This role includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Support building the pipeline of donors and funding partners; take introductory calls as appropriate
- CRM and network management
- Scheduling meetings for Director of Business Development, and supporting with meeting follow-up material
- Support collateral creation, as part of a new and developing sales process
- Corporate partnerships (as part of financing)
- Pipeline development, relationship management
- Research relevant grants on an ongoing basis
- From philanthropic organizations and relevant governmental bodies (in collaboration with our external government grant-writing agency)
- Help to define and iterate on grant-seeking parameters
- Support initial outreach to grant-making bodies for details and information
- Support in the grant-writing process
- Policy support
- Help to manage relationships with stakeholders and collaborators in the policy space
- Stay up-to-date with new or relevant opportunities for Project Vesta within the policy landscape
- NGO support
- Mapping relationships, helping to manage connections and setting up meetings with collaborators in the NGO space.
The ideal candidate:
- Experience working in the climate, carbon removal, or environmental fields
- Experience raising nonprofit donations and large gifts
- Experience pitching and communicating scientific or climate-related concepts to audiences with varied scientific skill levels
- Experience grant writing
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing sales materials
- Experience developing top-of-funnel pipeline for sales and / or philanthropic gifts
- Is organized and self-motivated, comfortable working in a less-structured startup environment
- Is excited to be a part of a fast-paced, dynamic team
- Has deep curiosity and a love of learning about new applications of science how they translate into business opportunities for climate tech
This position is remote and applicants from anywhere are encouraged to apply. The team operates in the Pacific Time Zone, and meetings will occur in the United States ET-PT working-day timeframes.
Note: The Director of Business Development is based in the California Bay Area, and may request in-person working days if the candidate is based locally.
The application period ends December 17th, 2021.