, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation
in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20 million users have planted over 130 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) (m/f/x)
with expertise in cloud-native application development and resilience engineering practices to join us remotely or
in our Berlin office. We are growing fast and need support in our team’s mission to scale our cloud infrastructure and to make development frictionless and operationally safe.
As a Sr SRE on our remote-first
Platform team, you will advance our platform infrastructure, introduce new cloud integrations, and create tooling that optimises the developer workflow at Ecosia. Further, you will support engineers across the organisation in their understanding of operational practices and support your direct colleagues’ technical growth.
Do you want to become part of a fun team with a company-wide impact and shape a product used by millions of users every day? Come join us!
Your opportunity to make an impact
- Develop, deploy, and manage critical cloud infrastructure to power Ecosia’s products around the globe.
- Develop services and tooling to improve the productivity of engineers across the organisation, e.g., CI/CD with GitHub Actions or advanced observability solutions around Prometheus and Grafana.
- Pair with both your direct colleagues and engineers outside of your team to advocate for SRE best practices.
- Streamline incident handling processes and participate in our on-call program.
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values.
Your areas of knowledge and expertise
- SRE / DevOps experience (5+ years) developing or running large scale online services.
- Hands-on experience with services and tools from our technology stack or equivalents.
- Participation in incident management.
- Experience in supporting other developers with running services reliably in production.
- AWS (or other cloud infrastructure)
- Terraform (or equivalent infrastructure-as-code tooling)
- Kubernetes (or equivalent deployment or orchestration automation)
The hiring process
- First call with Elena (30-45min)
- Short assignment you can do in your own time (60-120min)
- Technical interview with the Platform team (60min)
- Pair programming session and presentation (120min)
- Non-technical interview with Frank and Jonathan (60min)
According to your preference, some of the stages can be combined to reduce time.We recognise that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.Salary range for the role:
A fair compensation package (61k - 82k) per year based on your skills and experience, plus up to 5k per year for participating in the on-call rotation.WHY ECOSIA?
- What if your job made a real difference to the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and help plant millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), two no meeting days, remote work options).- We are a team of more than 25 nationalities that includes people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents non-traditional backgrounds.- We help you live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, green electricity allowance, etc.- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc. Useful links:
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia?
- Ecosia’s career page
- 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity or are primary caregivers, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.