Company Summary Our mission is to accelerate our planet’s transition to a carbon negative society. We will capture 1B tons of CO2 from the atmosphere by 2035 (equivalent of ~60M Americans’ annual emissions today), and build a multi-billion dollar business along the way. The problem we are solving is that according to IPCC, billions of tons of CO2 need to removed from the atmosphere (in addition to decarbonizing the entire economy) by 2050 to keep global warming to 1.5 °C, but current technologies are too expensive and not scalable to the volume necessary. Unlike traditional engineered removal solutions, our Nature published technology combines the natural properties of minerals (carbon mineralization) with engineering to provide a low cost path to $50/tCO2 for Direct Air Capture (DAC), the cost at which carbon removal will be transformative. Our early customers are corporations and other entities that need to reduce and offset their carbon emissions to meet compliance requirements or carbon pledges. Our go-to-market strategy allows us to be unit profitable from day one, and reach >$1B in revenue just from existing markets and pledges. Our $100B opportunity lies with carbon markets set for creation in the EU, US, and other markets. Over the next 18 months, we will de-risk our cost estimates, build our first deployment, and validate the commercial viability of this technology. About the roleThe Heirloom team is on a path to creating a sustainable, scalable, and economically viable carbon removal system.This technology - which requires a unique blend of geology, chemistry, industrial engineering, and process engineering - doesn’t yet exist at the scales necessary to make a difference, so we need to build it ourselves. The Software & Controls Engineering Internship/Co-Op is available to students currently working towards a BS or MS in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field.
What You Will Do
- Creating custom components for traceability and mechanical systems using an object oriented approach.
- Develop a standard for deploying tested code with rapid iteration.Develop and maintain the infrastructure to ingest and process data.
- Guide teams that are using this data for analysis, we are looking for someone who understands the source of the data.
- Design and implement a distributed system to control operations of our capture and processing equipment.
- Proficiency in Python or equivalent.
- Experience with Git, experience with GitHub a plus.
- Cloud technology experience (AWS, GCP, or Azure).
- Experience working with databases, such as MySQL, Postgres, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on time with high quality and attention to detail
- Experience with CI/CD work flows and tools.Experience with React or Html/CSS is a plusBuilding monitoring tools - datadog or equivalent is a plus.
- Knowledge of industrial automation and different industrial protocols.Knowledge of IoT, distributed computing, and/or edge computing.
- Experience in MES development, deployment, and continuous improvement.
- Understanding of devops, experience working with IT teams to setup the infrastructure needed to support the software platform.
Carbon Removal & Utilization Engineering