Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country!Please consider completing the optional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) survey below. Doing so will help keep us accountable for the DEI commitments we have made as a company. By choosing to disclose elements of your identity, you are informing us about our candidate pool and the ways we can continue to improve making Imperfect Foods an inclusive company for everyone. Responses will in no way affect your candidacy for the position you apply for. Information collected will be kept secure and confidential and will be used solely to evaluate our DEI efforts. We thank you in advance for helping us to become a better company for people of all backgrounds.About the Role:
The Produce Buyer is a dedicated, enthusiastic, and highly motivated individual on the Supply Team. They will be responsible for maintaining vendor relationships, order placement, and quality/condition of the incoming product. This position is under the supervision of the Purchasing Manager.
- Consistently meet quarterly metrics based on product quality, margin, on time deliveries, and product cost
- Handle relationships with priority vendors by staying in regular communication, placing orders with high accuracy, and ensuring product quality.
- Troubleshoot general supplier issues and resolve credit requests to suppliers in a timely manner
- Negotiate better prices based on knowledge of seasonality, market prices, and trends across vendors. Visit growers to explore opportunities for mutually effective relationships
- Facilitate onboarding of new vendors given by the Purchasing Manager to verify smooth integration into our systems and processes, ensuring that they meet all our requirements. Inform the Purchasing Manager and Director of Sourcing of any gaps in sourcing due to insufficient vendors or volume for a specific commodity (organic or conventional)
- Work with Merchandising and Brand to implement promo/ad internal programs, ensuring success from beginning to end
- Assist finance with resolving PO and invoice discrepancies. Coordinate with receivers to verify arrivals
Skills & Qualifications:
- 1-3 years experience purchasing produce
- Extensive knowledge in the fresh produce industry (for both organic and conventional product), including PACA guidelines, temperature guidelines, and USDA inspections
- Proven vendor relationships and firm negotiation skills
- Experience in quickly solving issues and working in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Excel, Word, Google Sheets/Docs, and ERP systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, agriculture, related field, or relevant experience
- Knowledge of PACA guidelines and rules
- You're highly energetic and friendly attitude, ready to learn
- You're extremely organized with strong attention to detail
- You're able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- You love the opportunity to meet challenges and take preventative action for solutions
- You work well in a highly active team in a collaborative environment
- You're passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of the Position:
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the Purchasing Manager
- The position is remote, but you must be located in the Baltimore/Hanover, MD area
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Opportunity to work from home regularly
Imperfect's commitment to DEIImperfect Foods is steadfast in its commitment to being an actively anti-racist company.We understand that it is necessary to take ownership and accountability for building an equitable workplace where all members of our organization can truly belong. It is our responsibility to ensure that every department at every level of our business reflects the diversity of the world we live in. We aim to achieve this through our hiring practices and by championing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) programming that fosters a supportive work environment where everyone can thrive and have connections across teams. DEI programming is available for all employees and we highly encourage staff participation. It is only with everyone’s unique perspectives, experiences, and beliefs that we can help shape a culture of belonging and create an environment where all Imperfectionists are celebrated.U.S. E-Verify Notice:
- Sedentary work; involves sitting most of the time
- Occasional visits to our Fulfillment Center in Hanover, MD
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.COVID update for on-site employees: All Imperfect Foods employees must be fully vaccinated to be on-site or at company functions. For roles that require an employee to be on-site to fulfill their job functions: job offers are contingent on providing proof of vaccination (e.g., a copy of a vaccine card or other similar official document confirming vaccination status).