WHO YOU ARE
As a Material Synthesis Technician in the R&D Operations group, you will be a part of the team that synthesizes and tests the new versions of Sila materials for applications in lithium-ion battery concepts. You are attentive to details and diligent in your observations, with the curiosity and seek to be part of a team producing the next generation of battery materials. You have some broad hands-on laboratory experience, including both wet chemistry and chemical/physical vapor deposition. You also know your way around a few analytical tools. You notice when things don’t seem quite right, and ideally, you can troubleshoot established processes and existing equipment.
You will contribute primarily through the production and assessment of small scale batches of experimental materials. Your work will be spread between some daily core-responsibilities and one or two more-unique projects, which will change on a regular basis. You should have good interpersonal and cooperation skills, as well as a passion to help seek difficult materials problems.
You are a self-starter and interested in a non-standard work schedule that includes working Saturdays and Sundays, and some combination of weekdays to complete a 5-day / 40-hour work week.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Synthesize small scale batches of material via bench-top wet-chemistry methods in fume hoods, semi-automated flow reactors, and semi-automated vapor deposition techniques in vacuum chambers.
- Troubleshoot synthesis operations and synthesis tools, especially during weekend operations.
- Perform measurements with analytical tools such as microscopes, precision balances, centrifugal particle sizers, TGA, DSC, spectrometers and other analytical methods.
- Execute small development projects in collaboration with scientists and engineers.
- Help to continuously maintain order and structure in the work environment and build new systems to increase operational efficiency and work-flow rates.
- Record work and keep data updated in an online database
- Handle inventory and maintain a tidy and effective work area
- Work collaboratively with other technicians, engineers, and scientists and
- Effectively communicate results to troubleshoot, correct, and prevent issues
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Laboratory experience that includes hands-on bench-top wet-chemical synthesis and chemical/physical vapor deposition.
- Practical experience operating and troubleshooting an established synthesis process.
- Practical experience troubleshooting vacuum systems and synthesis furnaces.
- Enough exposure to one or more analytical instruments to be able to explain how to use them, what they do, and why they are used.
- Ability to evaluate and troubleshoot
- The ability to record and communicate laboratory work in various systems.
- An AS degree or BA/BS degree in a science, engineering, or engineering-technology subject area; or comparable experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to walk long distances and stand for extended periods of time
- Able to work in a laboratory using glove boxes and fume hoods
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Repetitive use of hands - light to forceful handling of material