Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
The Test and Validation Technical Manager is responsible for technical oversight, mentorship and management of the team that owns end to end testing of Bird designed vehicle hardware from component level to vehicle level. The Test team at Bird functions as an integral part of the design process not just an after the fact testing service organization.
- Hiring and managing of Test and Validation Team members, provide mentorship and help them foster collaboration across design groups
- Oversee third party testing as needed
- Coordinate , track progress and report up status and results of all Testing
- Primarily mechanical and environmental testing at the component, subsystem and vehicle level, but also assist with electrical, software and other system level testing as needed
- Develop requirements and create/execute test plans to ensure real-world reliability/durability based on actual customer use and field failures
- Perform root cause analysis on problems found and provide feedback to the development team to improve the design
- Design, purchase, maintain and operate test equipment and infrastructure; experience developing test rigs is preferred
- Participate in Design reviews and DFMEA sessions, help steer design direction based on Testing experience and perspective
- Ongoing Process improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3-7 years of relevant experience in design verification/validation testing
- Experience in People Management and Project Management
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions.
- Multi-tasking, self-starting and high sense of urgency to complete tasks
- SAE competition experience preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Hands-on experience with DAQs and various transducers: accelerometers, loadcells, etc
- Very hands-on in general: can perform basic wiring, use various hand and powered tools
- Machine shop experience preferred: lathe, mill, grinders, drill presses, etc
- Experience with both accelerated and non-accelerated testing preferred
- Experience working with suppliers/vendors
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Understanding of DVP&R and DFMEA documents
- Understanding of mechanical vibration/shock, component mating/unmating cycling, electrical high current/temperature rise, IP sealing, thermal shock, humidity, salt fog/mist tests
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer preferred but not required
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.