Terramera is seeking a dynamic, friendly, and highly organized Lab Operations & Administration Assistant to join our Green Chemistry Solutions Team. The primary role of the successful candidate is to support the daily functioning of numerous lab departments and support the implementation of Terramera’s Lab Operations Plan by performing administrative and operational tasks.
Administratively, this includes ordering and receiving supplies, taking inventory and replenishing material stocks, and data entry. Operationally, this includes basic hands-on support in the lab area like managing the glassware dishwasher, placing or moving items in the inventory, and periodic basic maintenance to lab equipment like defrosting sample freezers or cleaning and replacing filters on lab water systems.
There can be substantial opportunities to learn and contribute at higher operational levels, if desired.
The primary working relationship is with the Lab Manager. The Lab Administration and Operations Assistant will also interact with the lab’s Team Leads and researchers, Terramera personnel from Facilities, Accounting, and IT departments, as well as external personnel like couriers and service contractors.
ORDERING AND SHIPPING-RECEIVING SUPPLIES
- Monitor order requests; place & track orders (online, phone or email as needed)
- Enter order information into web-based Procurement Management system
- Reconcile received orders with packing slips and invoices (organize and file the paperwork, and scan & upload documents as needed)
- Determine internal distribution of received packages (notify recipients to collect their packages, and/or deliver items to offices or lab rooms)
- Enter new samples into inventory systems, and label the new items
- Prepare documents and packages for outgoing deliveries, including routine items but also some chemical formulations that must be packaged in accordance with Canada’s TDG regulations
- Break down boxes and packaging, and sort into various waste streams
- Maintain and update vendor contact information in a centralized file
- Check supply inventory bi-weekly
- Replenish internal material locations from stock in storage
- Initiate re-order of the most commonly used supplies
- Move supplies into storage locations, including boxes up to 25 lbs, cylinders of compressed gases, and 20L pails of chemicals and lab waste
- Schedule the removal of lab chemical waste
BASIC HANDS-ON SUPPORT IN THE LAB AREA
- Carefully load, run, unload the lab's glassware dishwasher daily
- Defrost the storage freezers when needed
- Clean and replace filters on the lab water systems
- Greet contractors and service personnel, and log them into visitor logbook
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Successfully complete WHMIS and TDG certification upon hire and renew as required
- Read and follow all safety procedures and be proactive in identifying hazards in the workplace
- Participate in safety training as required
- Read monthly safety inspection reports and H&S Committee monthly meeting minutes
- Provide helpful reminders to co-workers regarding safe work habits, when needed
- Create and post temporary signs within the lab, when needed
- Organize and file paperwork and digital files
- Scan or upload documents and files to web or internal server locations
- Answer the lab's telephone and doorbell
- Answer co-worker questions about location of items or schedule of deliveries/services
- Assist co-workers in sourcing supplies
- File and document management (electronic folders, OneDrive, SharePoint)
- 0-2 years' experience in an administrative lab setting or similar position
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Proficient with computer applications including Microsoft Office Applications (Outlook, Teams, Excel, Word)
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs
- Able to use a box cutter, stepstool, and small hand tools
- Excellent data entry and record-keeping skills, supported by accurate keyboarding and ability to multi-task between applications
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and work under time pressures to meet deadlines
- Successful completion of WHMIS and TDG training will be required at the start of work; previous familiarity with handling chemicals and materials categorized as hazardous or dangerous goods is preferred
- Basic knowledge of purchasing and receiving processes is an asset
- Comfortable with wearing appropriate PPE (lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, closed-toe shoes, long pants)
QUALITIES WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Organization skills, including able to tolerate frequent interruptions
- Time management skills, able to plan and juggle daily workload, prioritize, and seek input or help when needed
- Friendly, cooperative, and helpful attitude
- Resourceful, and comfortable with working independently
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80 percent while increasing global farm productivity by 20 percent by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include a research lab, greenhouse and farm, and has more than 185 patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer. As we make serious efforts to learn more about how we can increase diversity in our candidate pool, we invite you to voluntarily provide demographic information in a confidential survey at the end of this application.
Providing this information is optional. It will not be used in the hiring process, and has no effect on your opportunity for employment.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.