Here at Modern Meadow we are harnessing the power of design, biology, and engineering to produce biofabricated materials and bioproducts. As we continue to grow, we are seeking to hire a Molecular Biologist for our Cell Engineering team.
The Cell Engineering group is recruiting a highly-talented molecular biology subject matter expert. This role will be responsible for molecular cloning of genetic devices for yeast, fungi and bacteria as well as conduct molecular evaluation of engineered strains using advanced DNA/RNA technologies. This scientist will add to the team's core capabilities in synthetic biology and their work will support multiple strain engineering projects.
- Develop finely engineered yeast, fungal and/or bacterial strains to produce commercial products.
- Establish molecular validation genetic tool-kits (e.g., promoter and/or signal sequence libraries) to screen cells for better protein production and drive innovation with a flexible, forward thinking approach.
- Identify new technologies in cell and metabolic engineering to increase the efficiency of constructing improved strains.
- Molecular cloning using ligation and ligation-free methods.
- Design and build base vectors for standard industrial organisms.
- Use commercial software for DNA design and analysis (e.g., Benchling).
- Work with analytics and biochemistry teams to develop biochemical and cell based assays for use in high-throughput screening.
- Independently designs experiments, apply new developments and implements novel procedures, protocols and/or processes.
- Communicates powerfully and proficiently their results, conclusions and recommendations to colleagues.
- Provide broad technical support to the Cell engineering, up- and downstream processing teams.
- Acquire and maintain relevant technical and intellectual expertise in Cell engineering, high-throughput biology and synthetic biology.
- Works collaboratively with Strain Development Project leads, research scientists and associates.
- Ph.D degree or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology or a closely related field with 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Industrial experience in engineering yeast, fungal and microbial hosts for the production of proteins, enzymes and/or chemicals.
- Proficient with a deep understanding in molecular biology techniques - DNA/RNA purification, DNA/RNA quantification, PCR/qPCR, enzymatic assays and molecular cloning.
- Experience with modern cell engineering techniques such as TALEN, ZFN and CRISPR as well as high-throughput biology approaches is a plus.
- Possesses good organizational, communication, analytical and technical writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task, is detailed-oriented in their experimental design and has the ability to work independently and deliver exceptional results within project specific timelines.
- Self-motivated, organized, passionate and comfortable working in a fast-paced interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and pivot as needed in a fast-paced environment.
- Contributes to a positive, safe, inclusive and compliant work environment