At Modern Meadow (MM) we are harnessing the power of design, biology and material science to produce high performing, sustainable, and scalable bio-based products. At the intersection of biotechnology and material science, we design materials solutions for the way we want the world to perform. We are pioneers of biofabrication, building with biology. Because we have introduced a more effective, more responsible, and readily available supply, we are shifting demand away from extractive practices and toward a sustainable bioeconomy.
Reporting to the President and Chief Operating Officer, Modern Meadow’s General Manager for Materials will be a key strategic partner instrumental in building, leading and executing strategy, operations and sales for our Materials Business Unit by harnessing Modern Meadow’s advanced Bio fabrication platforms for the improvement of textile and materials landscape. Follow the inserted LINK for additional details on our groundbreaking joint venture partnership with world-renowned Italian textile and materials supplier, LIMONTA.
The leader who accepts this position will have a strong track record of value creation through developing relationships and partnerships in a B2B model and has ideally led product and manufacturing efforts within a R&D focused company focused on sustainable material innovations. An ideal candidate is curious, driven and passionate in their collaborative pursuit of positive change through consumer adoption of sustainable options. This leader has direct experience in the materials space; an ownership mindset; and is energized by the opportunity to develop a materials business at the intersection of performance and sustainability.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of the Materials business unit of the Company including strategic planning and execution.
- As a critical leader at Modern Meadow, partner to create and maintain a multiyear vision, financial forecast, and launch plan for business unit to optimize value across and between businesses for the overall Company.
- Partner with Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and our R&D team to identify market needs as well as the KPIs (product briefs, performance, criteria, etc.) needed to bring very attractive innovation to market.
- Responsible for building, expanding, and participating with our Joint Venture BioFabbrica’s partners to align objectives; prioritize opportunities; directly manage US based commercial leads before funneling them thru the JV and its manufacturing partners; arbitrate resources allocation in order to assure the success of the JV.
- Responsible for the achievement of operational and financial results – both top (revenue) and bottom (profitability) lines – across all business units.
- Work closely with the Head of Corporate Development and our sustainability leaders to ensure that our materials is 1) competitive, 2) our USP are back up will LCA and other SB KPIs, and 3) we integrate these considerations in the market assessment and development.
- Maintain an overall perspective on the competitive landscape within materials and textiles in multiple industries (RTW, accessories, transportation, home, and more)
- Develop partnering strategy and lead negotiation of joint ventures, cod-development, co-marketing, licensing and equity agreements.
- In collaboration with Business Development, build the marketing and communications strategy aligned with the overall commercial narrative and representing voice of potential consumer, brands and partnerships.
- Participate in innovation projects that create industry-leading sustainable technologies.
- Coordinate with the CTO, Legal, and outside patent counsel on intellectual property strategy, patent filings, and trademarks.
- Manage matrixed functional structure and coordinate with Legal, Finance, R&D, Sales and Marketing, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain to optimize operations and enable future growth.
- Develop systems, policies and procedures to enhance business units’ performance.
- Chair of Board/CEO – as a critical part of onboarding, leverage the experience and partnership of a leader who will actively mentor and transition key relationships and expertise
- VP Operations and Supply Chain – a “no ego” veteran leader who possesses a high degree of urgency and integrity, excelling at execution
- Head of Product – a rising talent with a combination of great instincts and demonstrated experience in developing and managing clients and revenue
- Executive Assistant – leverage a shared resource to assist with administrative and clerical tasks
- A leader from the Materials space with technical knowledge of material development and an ability to not only understand, but to translate and integrate key knowledge gained through R&D and commercial partners.
- A “people first” collaborative leader who excels at building long term, sustainable relationships while demonstrating integrity and care so that our team continues to thrive
- An experienced leader with an advanced degree +15 years’ experience in management, business development, and operations within product development, innovation, retail or materials space
- International experience and exposure with a deep understanding of the need to build and manage multi-cultural relationships through exception communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement commercialization strategies, with a track record of successful deals, products, and/or startups
- Understanding of commercial deal structures and term sheets, and experience in working with counsel on deal negotiation
- Strong interpersonal, meeting skills and ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Excellent communications skills both verbal and written
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proven ability to drive, lead, and communicate change effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership skills with a team-oriented and collaborative approach to work
- Ability to lead teams in a hybrid environment, ensuring optimal results regardless of location of the team
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time
Ideal Experience Includes but is not Limited to the Following:
- Educational experience (BA, MS, PhD) in Materials Science, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering
- Direct experience collaborating with R&D project teams to deliver on new product applications
- A leader whose experience in “translating” emerging technology has resulted in brand/partner adoption of new materials solutions
- A leader who has led Sustainability efforts with the passion and experience that ensures Modern Meadow continues to evolve and integrate sustainability throughout all business activities.