Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO2. To pursue this challenge, we convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject into permanent, underground storage wells as a form of carbon removal, or reform it to produce green hydrogen and syngas for industrial processes like steel, cement, and chemicals manufacturing.
Last year, our carbon removal technology gained traction with partners like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft, and we deployed our first mobile demonstration pyrolysis plant. In the next 18 months, we will build and deploy the next revision of our pyrolysis plant, perform a pilot demonstration of our green syngas technology with a steel plant, substantially expand our commercial operations in the Midwest and put more than 1,000 tonnes of CO2e underground.
To help achieve our mission we're looking to expand our team of creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. Come help us make our bold plans come to life!
About Your Team
You’ll be joining a small team of kind people who value psychological safety and collaboration, and who keep an open mind when teammates voice ideas or concerns. We take calculated risks, and don’t sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. Furthermore, we value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape our work.
We strive for sustainability both in the natural environment and in the workplace; we know rest and work-life balance is important for productivity and health! That said, the urgency of the climate crisis is upon us, and we don't have time to waste. We encourage you to read about our company values
, and we hope you will join us on our quest to collectively improve our planet, our company, and ourselves.
As an Analytical Chemist at Charm, you will be responsible for planning, collecting, and evaluating samples captured during pyrolyzer and gasifier operations. You will work closely with engineers to determine the most appropriate sampling locations and develop protocols to analyze those samples. Your job will be hands-on collecting and analyzing local samples as well as those from field trials. You will support the design and build the analysis lab, selection of analytical equipment, and eventual hiring and training of support technicians all with a priority for safety. Charm's test driven approach to development makes this a critical role for the company.
In this role, you will bring…
- A safety first approach to sampling and analysis
- A commitment to rigorous science
- BS or MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with 5+ years of analytical chemistry experience in industry or PhD with 2+ years of experience in industry
- Skills required to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot GC, GC/MS, LC/MS/MS, and other instrument systems
- An ability to develop quantitative analytical methods as required to address project analytical needs
- Comprehensive laboratory notebooks, a neat and orderly laboratory workplace, and adhere to laboratory quality plans, QA/QC measures, and SOPs
- Familiarity with thermal conversion processes
- Previous research lab experience, pilot plant, or test stand work in chemical, rocket, or heavy industries
These skills are a bonus but not essential…
- Knowledge of gas and particulate sampling nuances
- Experience working around hazardous gases, combustibles, and/or high energy systems
- Vendor management skills
- Familiarity with Linux, Python and scripting languages
You would make a great addition to the team if...
- You solve problems with creativity and curiosity
- You take high ownership of your work from end-to-end
- You are eager to learn and teach others
- You readily challenge your assumptions when faced with a difficult problem
- You collaboratively seek out teammates for feedback and advice
- You care deeply about our mission & the transition to a greener, more equitable future
What We Offer
- Flexible hours & paid time off
- Stock option compensation
- Medical and dental insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Traditional and Roth 401k
- Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon
- Healthy snacks and lunches
- A sweet workplace (Wait until you see our new Minifactory!) with lots of space inside and out
- A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
After pausing in-person work in March 2020, we were fortunate to return to work by adopting a mask and social distancing policy which kept employees safe. The nature of our work requires a majority of our team to be in the office full time and, as such, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe amidst the global pandemic.
Our current safety policy requires that anyone coming to Charm's office for work or for an in-person interview will be required to be vaccinated and will be required to wear a mask indoors and when in close proximity to others outdoors. If you are invited to Charm's office for an interview, you will be asked for proof of vaccination upon arrival.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.