Since 1984, SCS Global Services has been a pioneer and leader in the field of sustainability standards and third-party certification, working across the economy in the natural resources, built environment, food and agriculture, consumer products and climate sectors. Partnering with companies, government agencies, NGOs, and stakeholders, we are striving to advance sustainable development goals through independent assessment, the application of sound science, and innovative solutions. Through these services, we are enabling decision-makers and purchasers to make informed decisions, giving innovators a competitive edge, and helping to drive the development of leadership standards to create a framework for continuous improvement.
The Technical Specialist supports the successful operation of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Fisheries Program at SCS. Fisheries employ the MSC Fisheries Standard certification worldwide to demonstrate their commitment to providing sustainable seafood. The Technical Specialist is responsible for successfully interpreting and implementing the MSC Fisheries standards for sustainable fisheries. In addition, the Technical Specialist will be responsible for managing a portfolio of clients, conducting MSC assessments as part of an audit team, and providing administrative and technical support to the audit teams, clients, international affiliates, and colleagues. The position also includes periodic field auditing.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Auditing & Technical Oversight
Program Quality and Development
· University degree in fisheries, marine conservation biology, natural resources, environmental management, or relevant field (e.g., economics, mathematics, statistics). Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum 3 years of experience in the fisheries sector in management or research experience in marine conservation biology, fisheries science, or fisheries management
· Three years or more experience in research into, policy analysis for, or management of, the impact of fisheries on aquatic ecosystems, including at least two of the following topics: Bycatch, Endangered, threatened, or protected (ETP) species, Habitats or Ecosystem interactions.
· Experience in leading teams and projects, mainly involving collaborative report deliverables and stakeholder engagement
· English and work experience that involves professional written communication
· Strong organization, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills
· Proficient with business software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and database management
· Strong attention to detail, customer service, and teamwork orientation
· The initiative, good judgment, and ability to work independently under pressure in a changing environment
· Ability to legally work in the US and to travel internationally, as needed
· Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, or Japanese is highly desirable.
· Prior experience working directly with the fishing industry or MSC scheme is highly desirable.
· Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered, unless precluded by local and national jurisdiction. Pursuant to local and national law--proof of vaccination required. Medical and religious accommodations will also be considered.
*The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
This is an office based job. Sit 6+ hours per day. Keyboarding 6+ hours per day. Must be able to speak and listen in person and on the phone.
CA Office, Emeryville or Remote, US
*SCS, Working Remotely:
At this time, SCS Global Services is recruiting all open roles to be remote; allowing our employees the ability to work flexibly and allowing SCS as a company to diversify the experience and perspectives of our growing workforce.
As part of our remote work, we want to ensure that our employees have what they need to work from home. We provide our new employees with a computer and can offer assistance in acquiring ergonomic necessities.
SCS Global Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SCS Global Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.