Motiv Power Systems (www.motivps.com) is based in Foster City, CA. Motiv is a market-leading Electric Vehicle (EV) technology company that builds medium duty commercial trucks and buses including step vans, box trucks, shuttle buses and school buses. The fleets that use them are the ‘backbone of urban commerce’. Motiv is committed to assembling the best, groundbreaking EV technologies that enable big & small fleets to reliably deliver products, move people and provide services. For over a decade Motiv has continually led development of next generation, higher performing, more reliable, and lower cost products. Motiv’s mission is to free fleets from fossil fuels with customer-driven solutions to enable our customers to convert their legacy fleets into EV fleets of the future.
We are looking for a Principal Systems Engineer to join us in transforming an industry. In this position your key responsibilities will be to translate the customer and market requirements of our products into Vehicle and Subsystem, Engineering Requirements and Targets. This includes ensuring certification, safety, reliability, compliance and documentation requirements are met.
Our core values are deep Passion, Curiosity, Collaboration, Customer Focus and “owning it”. As with all roles at Motiv, your alignment with these values will be critical to your success here. As a small and growing company, we are critically dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and nontechnical disciplines. Responsibilities include effectively using appropriate Systems & Vehicle tools and processes, through practical cross-functional leadership appropriate for a scale-up organization, to drive objectives to successful conclusion in a timely manner. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and must be comfortable analyzing complex systems, and collaborating with subject matter experts.
Systems and Vehicle Engineering
• Work with Sales and Marketing to understand customer expectations and translate them into Product Requirements aligned with the Product Roadmap.
• Analyze Product Functional Safety requirements and drive requisite systems and subsystems.
• Drive the cross-functional decomposition of product requirements into component and subsystem requirements across the organization, including Electrical, Mechanical and Software Engineering, Supply Chain, Manufacturing and Customer Support, within the framework of Motiv’s NPI process
• Create Systems Design Specifications to guide the design and deployment of new products.
• Coordinate with partners and internal departments regarding the design, specifications, validation of advanced automotive electronics software and applications.
• Ensure appropriate Certification, Safety and Reliability requirements are reflected in all subsystems.
• Adhere to Motiv company policies and procedures, and automotive best-practices.
• Create and maintain comprehensive system documentation.
• Design a Vehicle Architecture taking into consideration all functional Objectives, Performance, Safety, Integration and Business constraints.
• Provide models, simulations, and other tools to characterize and validate system performance.
• Ensure integration of subsystem level design and development meets the overall performance requirements and targets.
• Utilize Value Engineering to reduce complexity and specify cost reduction targets.
• Ensure forward and backward traceability for every requirement using a requirement management tool.
• Functional Attributes cascade to be verified and countermeasures validated.
● BS in Engineering or equivalent experience, additional degree(s) a plus
● Minimum of 15+ years industry experience in an automotive or related regulated field
● Working Knowledge in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering systems in the Automotive industry a strong plus
● Experience in evaluating regulatory compliance or closely related fields. Working knowledge of regulations as associated with emissions compliance and compliance procedures
● Previous experience working with regulatory & certification entities such as DOT/ NHTSA, EPA, and CARB
● Experience working with technical standards and with writing technical documents, coordinating compliance testing with independent labs & certification agencies
● Technical background in mechanical testing, electronics, and verifying safety & compliance
● Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up/scale-up development and manufacturing cross-functional environment
● Strong understanding of Systems Engineering and Vehicle Engineering with the ability to transfer customer wants into Motiv offerings and move seamlessly between Systems, sub-systems and back.
● Deep knowledge of engineering, manufacturing processes; and developing solutions that optimize System performance
● A team player with strong communication skills. Must possess a sense of urgency. A self-starter who can independently prioritize and manage multiple competing tasks.
● Excellent cross-functional communication and collaboration – simplifying and providing practical, clearly applicable solutions - across technical and non-technical stakeholders
● Able to write for a variety of audiences ranging from detailed technical reports to executive summaries with a high level of precision, accuracy and detail
● Working knowledge of regulations as associated with emissions compliance and compliance procedures
● Proficient in Microsoft office, Google Suite, Jira and other software systems like Plex.