Come join us on our mission as we revolutionize energy storage to enable a sustainable future. Are you passionate about testing, excited about new technology, and driven for success? Then do we have a position for you! QuantumScape is a start-up located inSan Jose, CA working on new energy storage technology to allow electric vehicles to outperform internal combustion cars. Our leap in energy density and charge rate is enabled by a different chemistry and cell architecture which also benefits safety. Our quick progress is due in part to a state-of-the-art facility, highly automated, an outstanding team, and a strong and clear set of values.
Do you want to learn about and work on this critical part of the future energy economy? QuantumScape is seeking a Senior Battery Cell Safety & Reliability Test Engineer - Senior Member Technical Staff (SMTS) to join the
Cell Engineering - Process Development team supporting the development of a commercial cell product. The individual in this role will be working in a new lab conducting safety and reliability tests on our product. This includes doing coordinated testing in the lab, specifying equipment, and working with vendors and our procurement team to source the equipment, and install and validate the equipment.
- Passion for learning and motivation for success
- Curious, hands-on approach to problem-solving
- Share a real passion for our mission
- Possesses a can-do spirit and is a collaborative teammate and clear communicator
- Organized, meticulous, and has clear written and verbal communication skills internally and with outside labs
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partnering with process and design team members to determine possible improvements based on testing results including the identification of needs, design (concept to detail), prototyping, manufacturing, installation, and testing
- Maintaining the organization and function of the laboratory space and equipment including preventive maintenance and calibration. Working facilities and equipment group when vital
- Working independently to complete projects in a timely manner. This includes test setup, testing/monitoring, report generation, and data interpretation.
- Develop tools for the automated generation of test scripts, specify and operating procedures and provide training for technicians in the operation of the equipment
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar concentration
- Minimum 5 years of proven test development experience in an R&D, accreditation, or product development environment of design
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience with lithium-ion battery standards/certification, UN/DOT 38.3, IEC62133, UL1642, and IEEE175
- Experience conducting and developing safety plans for tests that might result in energetic reactions such as cell thermal runaway
- Excellent organizational skills, capable of managing small to medium projects
- Well developed analytical skills for making independent decisions based on data
- Excellent familiarity with automated test development including specification, procurement, and validation
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of battery chemistry and electrical measurement
- Capable of building test scripts using Python, C+ or other programming software
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.