Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS is collaborating with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with new groundbreaking high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. The mission is to deploy fusion power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To execute this plan, we are looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skill sets and experience that relate to this role.
You will be responsible for transitioning the existing small-scale/low-throughput high temperature superconductor (HTS) test processes into a full-scale, high-throughput test facility that can support the future HTS testing needs of the company. This role would be responsible for learning about the existing processes, analyzing them with lean manufacturing methods, identifying concrete areas of improvement, developing and communicating comprehensive system-wide improvement plans for system hardware, software, electronics, and processes, and then working with internal and external stakeholders to drive those plans to completion. Although this role does not necessarily need to be a technical expert in the test facility equipment (power, cryogenics, vacuum) required to test HTS, you should be capable of learning enough details about this equipment and these subjects to speak with technical experts. This role will also be work closely with the Manufacturing team and any other HTS end users to understand any new requirements for the HTS test process and will need to continuously adjust the system to support those needs. The ideal candidate for this role will be a self-starter who is willing to learn and work largely independently on a complex project that is critically important to the success of the first net-energy fusion machine.
This team member will:
- Own the identification and implementation of improvements in our high temperature superconductor (HTS) testing process, in order to upgrade it from existing low-volume R&D efforts to full-scale high-volume production level testing
- Assess existing high temperature superconductor (HTS) testing processes to identify bottlenecks and specific areas for improvement
- Provide concrete recommendations on implementable solutions that will increase HTS test throughput while maintaining existing standards of data quality
- Coordinate with internal and external entities to develop and execute system upgrades while minimizing downtime of existing test equipment/systems
- Continuously evaluate performance of the HTS test processes in order to identify opportunities for further improvement
- Establish and execute plans for future factory expansion, including capital equipment and floor layouts
- Coordinate design, procurement, and commissioning of all test facility equipment (power, cryogenics, vacuum) necessary to test HTS at the required production rate
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science field is required
- 2+ years’ experience working with processes of any type (test, QA, manufacturing, chemical, etc.)
- Capability of understanding at a high-level how machinery works at a system level (mechanical, electrical, software)
- Demonstrated experience of taking at least one process from R&D to production
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing an existing process, identifying improvement opportunities, and implementing solutions
- Strong desire to improve efficiency and throughput of processes
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly
- A can-do attitude and an eagerness to learn
- Ability to think of innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Willingness to challenge how things are typically done in search of better, more efficient methods
- Excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills with great attention to detail
- Effective at communicating technical topics to both technical and non-technical audiences
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing practices and Six Sigma
- Experience working hands-on with cryogenic, vacuum, or electrical equipment
- Familiarity with electromagnetic fundamentals – voltage, current, resistance, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC, right-hand rule, solenoids, etc.
- Experience with designing and commissioning new facilities
- Experience developing and effectively presenting comprehensive trade studies comparing the pros & cons of various technical approaches
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.