At Wisk, we're transforming the future of urban mobility through safe, all-electric, autonomous flight. We are a passionate team working together toward a sustainable future, solving high-impact problems that have never been solved before. By delivering everyday flight for everyone, we're making it possible to spend less time getting there and more time being there. If you want to be part of shaping the future of mobility, then read on!
We are looking for a Sr. Staff Stability & Control / Performance Engineer to join our Flight Physics team to help with the design, simulation, flight testing and certification of our current and future Wisk eVTOL aircraft. In this role you will develop tools and simulation models to predict and validate the aircraft flight characteristics and performance, define mission task elements and optimize mission profiles. Additionally, you will effectively collaborate with other disciplines such as GNC, Simulation, Aerodynamics, Acoustics, Propulsion, Safety and Flight Controls.
Location Options: Montreal, Canada/ Mountain View, CA/ Atlanta, GA/ Remote, US
Why we need you
- The goal of the S&C and Performance group at Wisk is to perform linear and non-linear stability & control analysis, size flight control surfaces, evaluate flight characteristics, calculate performance data and assist the safety team to build the first fully autonomous all-electric aircraft that performs and operates safely in an urban air-mobility environment.
- The successful candidate has direct hands-on experience developing and testing fixed wing aircraft and/or rotorcraft, from initial concept through flight testing and certification, with the technical breadth necessary to interface with all engineering functions such as Systems & Safety Engineering, Hardware, Software, Manufacturing, Test, and Certification. In this role, the candidate must be a highly motivated, self-starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges.
What you will do
- Develop, modify, and run in-house tools, including 6DoF simulation models, to analyze aircraft static & dynamic flight characteristics and performance during take off, hover, transition, climb, cruise, descent and landing
- Estimate critical performance parameters, such as stall speeds, best rate of climb, climb ceiling, maximum range, noise profiles and energy reserves
- Define aerodynamic smoothness criteria and perform trade-studies to optimize the aircraft design, including wing design, tail volume, control surface sizing and sensor requirements
- Support the GNC team to assess, verify and validate control laws and envelope protection functions to ensure safe operations and compliance with the relevant certification and design requirements
- Plan and participate in both wind-tunnel and flight tests to analyze stability & control and performance data to support certification, including instrumentation requirements and parameter identification for simulator matching
- Develop tools & processes for performance data reduction & expansion, and optimization of flight mission planning for safe operations of an autonomous aircraft
- Author and review certification documents to show compliance with FAR Part 23/27 requirements
What you have done
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 8+ years of experience doing detailed S&C and/or Performance analysis on fixed wing aircraft and/or rotorcraft
- Gained strong knowledge of performance methodologies and associated software development for performance data reduction & expansion tools
- Developed performance data for inclusion in Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), Flight Planning and Cruise Control Manual (FPCCM), etc.
- Developed test plans based on an understanding of the certification requirements and associated means of compliance for fixed wing aircraft and/or rotorcraft
- Excellent understanding of key concepts and equations for performance and handling qualities analysis
- Experienced with scripting languages and Simulation tools (e.g. Fortran, Python, MATLAB)
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 12+ years of aircraft performance analysis experience working on complex aerospace systems
- Understanding of fixed-wing and/or rotorcraft aerodynamics, including familiarity with the use of RANS CFD codes and lower fidelity tools such as Xfoil & AVL
- FAA Flight Analyst Designated Engineering Representative (DER) or previous experience working on an aircraft certification program
- Familiarity with relevant aerospace standards and handling qualities rating systems (FAA, ASTM, NASA, MIL-STD-1797, MIL-F-8785, ADS-33, etc.)
- Knowledge of rotorcraft performance and the theories associated with propeller and rotor-driven propulsion
- Experience with wind tunnel, simulation and flight testing for aircraft performance and flight characteristics
- Previous experience with the various phases of an aircraft development program, from conceptual design thru certification and in-service support
Who you are
- You are a highly motivated, self starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset
- You have an ability to question traditional assumptions and apply your knowledge to novel eVTOL designs and operational scenarios
- You have strong communication skills and can easily tailor your communications to suit the audience
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations
- You are a positive team player
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, patent bonus program, happy hours and many more.
In order to protect the health and safety of our employees in the workplace, as a condition of employment, we require that employees are fully-vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccination against COVID-19 as permitted by law. Exceptions/accommodations are considered for employees with disabilities or sincerely-held religious beliefs, practices, or observances that prevent them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.