At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! The Research Associate II (RA II) within our Cell Line Development (CLD) team will be responsible for generating cell lines for cultivated meat production. The RA II will collaborate closely with upstream team members to meet key objectives and reduce bottlenecks. You should be creative, disciplined, enthusiastic, and able to work with a team to reach a common goal.
- Following and generating R/SOP's to execute tasks ranging from routine to complex lab procedures in cell culture, genetic engineering, and molecular biology assays.
- Generating, characterizing, and maintaining multiple cell lines, including transfection, tracking cell performance, and cryobanking.
- Executing molecular biology workflows, including primer design, RNA/DNA extraction, gene expression, genotype analysis (via RT-qPCR, PCR, ddPCR), and molecular cloning.
- Executing cell biology assays, including immunofluorescence, microscopy imaging, and flow cytometry analysis.
- Designing, setting up and executing experiments independently or with guidance from the team or project lead.
- Supporting inventory management and laboratory operations.
- M.S. in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or closely related science, or B.S./B.A. with 2+ years of industry or academic experience in a related field.
- Proficient in culturing multiple cell types and can demonstrate aseptic cell culture techniques.
- Experienced in gDNA/RNA extraction, designing primers, PCR, qPCR, or ddPCR assays.
- Nice to have–experience in various cell-based assays, including immunofluorescence, microscopy imaging, or flow cytometry analysis.
- Detail-oriented and capable of maintaining organized electronic laboratory notebook entries containing experimental designs, data, and results and able to present data to the broader team or project lead.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and cross-functional environment.
- Proactive mindset who is excited about challenges and finding creative solutions.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will report to a Sr. Scientist in CLD and partner with Scientists and Research Associates within CLD and Discovery team to generate new lines for use in commercial meat production. This individual will also work closely with our Cell Line Screening and Cell Culture Media team.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Become proficient with Upside Foods’ cell line generation process by generating multiple cell lines that are critical for our meat production.
- Characterize genotype and phenotype of cell lines to generate data package to facilitate cell line hand-off to downstream departments.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.