We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
You’re a self-directed, hands-on engineering technician with a passion for solving time-critical problems. You’re energized by digging deep into sophisticated technical issues, finding root causes, and making fixes that last. Your teammates trust your work because they know you don’t miss details and you always lead with objectivity and practicality. You’re excited to learn about new technical fields and new ways of working alongside engineers, scientists, and production staff. You’re good at communicating complicated observations clearly to a wide range of audiences. You’ve built your intuition and technical judgment working on multidisciplinary systems (e.g., mechanical, electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic) and you’re excited to apply that intuition to a new set of problems. You’re flexible and can quickly find the right balance between speed and refinement; you know that the right solution always depends on the big picture.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Debug the fleet of custom and off-the-shelf chemical synthesis machines that form the core of Sila’s lab-scale synthesis capability. Diagnose and solve interrelated mechanical, electrical, sensing, actuation, plumbing, and software problems. Clearly document and communicate the work you do to the rest of the team.
- Carry out both routine and unplanned maintenance on machines with demanding uptime requirements. Based on your observations, refine maintenance SOPs to prevent machine failures before they happen. Be ready with the right parts, know-how, and a can-do attitude to respond to unplanned machine downtime.
- As your expertise grows, work to improve the machines and the processes we run on them. This will include mechanical fabrication, electrical wiring, commissioning, and works with facility systems (gas plumbing, PCW plumbing, HVAC, AC power). Find and eliminate sources of drift and uncertainty.
- Work with our lab operations team to plan and schedule work in a way that enhances productivity. Proactively communicate your plans and project status to all involved parties.
- Work with vendors and contractors to get projects done. Ensure completion of contractor projects and facilitate handoffs to our team.
- Work safely: keep a clean and safe work environment. Correct unsafe behaviors and report incidents. Understand and respect hazardous materials and processes.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- At least 3 years of hands-on work experience in a field with multidisciplinary systems (i.e., at least two of the following: mechanical, electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic, or software systems integrated together on a single platform).
- Knowledge of AC and DC power fundamentals, sensor/signal troubleshooting, and field wiring best practices. Able to use multimeters and a variety of wiring hand tools.
- Conscientious, curious, and deliberate approach to problem-solving.
- Consistent and reliable project completion, from routine maintenance to new builds to retrofits.
- Phenomenal communication skills (written and verbal), both with Sila employees and external contractors.
- Proven track record to surface problems constructively.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a periodic basis
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Move items up to 50 lbs with the assistance of lift equipment and carts
- Move long distances (such as from building to building)
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.