CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
The SPARC tokamak will be a cutting-edge engineering system, pushing the forefront of superconducting magnet technology. There are a number of subsystems that will require proof-of-concept demonstrations during the design and initial construction phase. CFS is looking for an experienced Project Engineer to manage the planning and processes for engineering of the SPARC device to ensure the project is completed efficiently and successfully.
This team member will:
- Assist in the development of the design solutions for equipment design, equipment layout, P&IDs, procedures, and drawings for the SPARC Device.
- Ensure configuration control is maintained for all design aspects of assigned subsystems.
- Research and analyze complex project scope, schedules, and budget, and implement steps and processes for monitoring and reporting performance.
- Evaluate the strategic needs for staffing throughout the design phase of the project and work with company and project management to address those needs.
- Lead implementation of strategic process improvement plans and act as a catalyst to resolve diverse objectives and competing priorities within the device team.
- Cooperate and collaborate with the Project Manager and subsystem engineers to create more efficient project methods, and strong interfaces between subsystems.
- Function as the liaison between the Project Management and Engineering teams and provide regular updates to both entities.
- Ensure that scope is maintained and controlled such that it doesn’t grow without approval.
- Assist in managing contracts to monitor cost and technical performance.
- Participate in field work during construction to monitor activities and report on progress for assigned systems.
- Ensure project compliance with applicable codes, practices, policies, performance standards, and specifications.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an engineering field or project management.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possess a thorough understanding of project management, planning, and scheduling methods and techniques including associated performance tools.
- Exceptional planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Experience in identifying and evaluating cost and progress trends
- Nuclear experience (fusion or fission) is desirable.
- Experience with QA programs and how these apply to design/build work.
- Exceptional attention to detail is required.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent analytical, interpretive, and problem-solving skills.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect with a desire to foster teamwork.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.