Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric CO2 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won’t give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution—from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts. Want to join? Check out the job opening and requirements below:
We are looking for a creative and mission-aligned senior scientist to join our research team. Our goal is to discover, understand, and deliver incredible flavor experiences! We are looking for scientists with proven ability to deliver outstanding technical research while pushing the envelope of their research field. A successful senior scientist in this position will understand thermal flavor generation, collaborating with groups to deliver improved textured materials. An ideal candidate would be a motivated researcher with high technical rigor and with experience in flavor research, maillard and lipid chemistry, or natural product chemistry.
- Work across diverse experimental team to understand and optimize thermal process to drive successful flavor outcomes.
- Interpret analytical and perceptual data to understand flavor outcomes of materials and prototypes.
- Utilize analytical and perceptual tools to understand causative chemistry for flavor outcomes.
- Design, execute, and analyze experimentation in a highly dimensional space.
- Interpret and analyze complex data streams linking formulation to end product composition and associated flavor profiles.
- Partner with sensory and perception research group to interpret experimental results in the context of impactful business decisions.
- Be a champion for thorough science, and proactively educate and learn from others.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
- Masters or PhD degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other analytically oriented field with experience in researching biologically active molecules.
- Real world experience using mass spectrometry based methods to understand chemistry.
- Experience developing complex sample preparation workflows for analytical characterization, especially food, is highly desirable.
- Interest in understanding chemical mechanisms that drive success in products.
- Applied experience in multivariate statistics and experimental design is highly desirable.
- Experience in quantitative analytical chemistry is a plus.
- Experience in applied sensory and perceptual research is a plus.
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivated approach.
- Excellent analytical, statistical, scientific computing, data visualization, and interpersonal skills.
- Interest in actively learning and teaching others at Impossible foods.
- Ability to thrive despite uncertainty.
- Passion for our Mission.